Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so about 2 weeks after my pro charger build i blew my trans and about 3 days after i got my truck back from the trans shop i spun a rod bearing so now its time to build the motor.. whats a good stroker kit and cam to get for thease trucks with a pro charger? what oil pump should i run and how much boost can i run safely?

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
I wouldn't go with a "kit" to build the short block...I went with Wiseco X pistons and Callies Compstar "Hybrid" rods for the main parts with Ferrea valves and Patriot Extreme valvetrain...

Piecing the parts together to match your wants and needs is the biggest part of the engine! I personally overbuilt the parts to ensure the best durability...

As for cams, I have my cam and I based my cam decision off very different principles held by many respected builders within our community. I ended up running an "off the shelf" cam by Comp and it seems to have worked out pretty well for me...HOB has a "100whp" Procharger cam that is literally one number off of my specs, so I must have been doing something right...

The biggest key to stroking your engine and running a Procharger is being serious about matching the stall speed in the converter to your specific truck. I tried a Yank PTB3200 and my truck 60'ed like shit...the truck didn't pick up until 30+ feet off the line...had Dave at Yank fix it to a PTB3600 and it now blows all four off the line at 3700rpms...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wouldn't go with a "kit" to build the short block...I went with Wiseco X pistons and Callies Compstar "Hybrid" rods for the main parts with Ferrea valves and Patriot Extreme valvetrain...

Piecing the parts together to match your wants and needs is the biggest part of the engine! I personally overbuilt the parts to ensure the best durability...

As for cams, I have my cam and I based my cam decision off very different principles held by many respected builders within our community. I ended up running an "off the shelf" cam by Comp and it seems to have worked out pretty well for me...HOB has a "100whp" Procharger cam that is literally one number off of my specs, so I must have been doing something right...

The biggest key to stroking your engine and running a Procharger is being serious about matching the stall speed in the converter to your specific truck. I tried a Yank PTB3200 and my truck 60'ed like shit...the truck didn't pick up until 30+ feet off the line...had Dave at Yank fix it to a PTB3600 and it now blows all four off the line at 3700rpms...
:D Dave is the man. He hooks us up!!!!:2cents:

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
:D Dave is the man. He hooks us up!!!!:2cents:
He is the man...he is also a traitor! :D He sold his Chevy 1500 extra cab super short bed and got a 2010 WRX wagon...haha!

He's got a nice little surprise for me if I go to Joe's 4L80 swap...I just dread the price tag right now!

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,503 Posts

Did you keep the same cam
In the new motor?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i called dave rite befor the holidays for a converter but he couldent get me a converter within the time frame i was in so i went with a vigilante 3600 stall.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Did you keep the same cam
In the new motor?
Yes sir...since I kept the stock casting on the heads and only .005" over on the bore, I figured she would do fine!!! :) might be talking to you soon about something a little different if we move up in the hierarchy spinny hair dryers...

yea i called dave rite befor the holidays for a converter but he couldent get me a converter within the time frame i was in so i went with a vigilante 3600 stall.
You really should have waited...Yank converters are leaps and bounds better than ANY Vigilante! The Vigilantes are slapped together by people making $10-12/hr and they pay little attention to detail during assembly...I had 3 Vigilantes in my truck, the first was a 2800 10.5" and it only stalled to 2100! Then they changed it out for a 9.5" 3400, the snout failed because it was assembled wrong and it was not square & concentric...that ended up snapping and took out the entire trans within 6,000 miles. The next 9.5" 3400 did the same thing after 3,000 miles...FLT was awesome enough to fully rebuild my trans each time (for free) all because of a problem with the converter...when I called Terry at Precision Industries (Vigilante) he blew me off for weeks until I finally pinned him down! After explaining to him that I had spent nearly $1,000 shipping my trans back to FLT twice because of his faulty product, he grumbled around for a few more weeks and then finally agreed to reimburse me for the converter I paid $875 for! I got a check in the mail a week later for $375.00, apparently he was only reimbursing me for "his cost to build the converter"!!!

I would never recommend a Vigilante from my own experience!

When I did the Procharger, Dave and I agreed on a PTB3200, he built it, and when we took it to the track, it 60ft.'d like shit, and only started ripping at about the 40ft. mark...so one call to Dave and I dropped it off at his shop (his shop is about 2 miles from my old house) and picked it up 4 days later! Now it flash stalls to 3,700 and rips all four right off the line! I couldn't be happier with Dave's products and his customer service!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You really should have waited...Yank converters are leaps and bounds better than ANY Vigilante! The Vigilantes are slapped together by people making $10-12/hr and they pay little attention to detail during assembly...I had 3 Vigilantes in my truck, the first was a 2800 10.5" and it only stalled to 2100! Then they changed it out for a 9.5" 3400, the snout failed because it was assembled wrong and it was not square & concentric...that ended up snapping and took out the entire trans within 6,000 miles. The next 9.5" 3400 did the same thing after 3,000 miles...FLT was awesome enough to fully rebuild my trans each time (for free) all because of a problem with the converter...when I called Terry at Precision Industries (Vigilante) he blew me off for weeks until I finally pinned him down! After explaining to him that I had spent nearly $1,000 shipping my trans back to FLT twice because of his faulty product, he grumbled around for a few more weeks and then finally agreed to reimburse me for the converter I paid $875 for! I got a check in the mail a week later for $375.00, apparently he was only reimbursing me for "his cost to build the converter"!!!

I would never recommend a Vigilante from my own experience!

When I did the Procharger, Dave and I agreed on a PTB3200, he built it, and when we took it to the track, it 60ft.'d like shit, and only started ripping at about the 40ft. mark...so one call to Dave and I dropped it off at his shop (his shop is about 2 miles from my old house) and picked it up 4 days later! Now it flash stalls to 3,700 and rips all four right off the line! I couldn't be happier with Dave's products and his customer service![/QUOTE]

dam sorry to here.. i only put about 400 miles on my truck from the time i put the converter in to the time i spun the bearing so idk how it will hold up over time but i was impressed on how it performed. i payed out the as for that converter too i payed over 1100 with over night shipping.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am debaiting between having my motor rebuilt with a cam and stroker or putting a long block LSX 376. i am not really trying to break records i just want something that will handle boost and be some what reliable. any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Well, for the money you can have a badass bullet proof engine if you build something...and it will be cheaper than the GMPP crate...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts