Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
06 TrailblazerSS 2wd
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to out this so I'll try here. Is the power steering cooler needed on our tbss? If I was to delete it what if any precautions do I need to take? I know guys with vetts that delete them and rd race but they swap to a different fluid and some of them run a larger resivore

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
5,594 Posts
I think you could run a smaller cooler in a different location.

I tried to run a power steering pump without a cooler once, the fluid boiled.

I busted the gear box on my diesel that had hydro boost breaks. so I just bypassed the gear box and the cooler with a piece of tubing (I was in the middle of no where 40+ miles from cell service). So the only thing the pump was doing was pressure for the breaks at that point. with in 1 to 1.5 hours the pump was boiling the fluid.

I know its not apples to apples but I soon as I hooked the cooler back up (gear box was still bypassed), I made the 15 hour trip back home no problem.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,082 Posts
Txt me later, to remind me to send you a pic of my set up.

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,056 Posts
I have thought about it but then kinda said fuck it... I was kind of on a "let's delete everything" type of kick though lol

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,056 Posts
The one on my truck is tiny and beat all to hell. I've thought about deleting mine as well. Let me know what you come up with. I may just take Brandon's approach and start deleting everything that doesn't make it go fast or stop.
Simple is always better. For the most part lol

Reactions: dfwwiz

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
134 Posts
I'd say keep it and just relocate it if you want to hide it, unless you are only driving the thing in 1/4mile and towing it everywhere.. If you do remove it the life of your pump will decrease by alot.

Running life at WOT cause sandbagging is NOT ALLOWED!!!

·
Super Moderator
06 TrailblazerSS 2wd
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The factory cooler is huge and runs across the whole length of the radiator. It will conflict with my intercooler because I'm trying to run a pretty massive air to air. I found one thanks to chris that house of boost uses. I Sent them a message trying to see if I can buy it from them but no response. But theirs is much smaller and I can put it anywhere

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,391 Posts
Is there anywhere else you can relocate it? As an example, I have twin coolers for my trans now with nothing going to the radiator and it no makes a hell of a difference in lower temps for both coolant and trans fluid. I used 3/8" stainless tubing and brass compression fittings to re pipe everything and my lines run out board from the oil pan/starter now. The one cooler is 18" long tube with fins and it hangs from the lowr bars which run from front cross membr to lower radiator support. And the 2nd is a typical 7 x 11 cooler behind the brake duct with a 7" e-fan that is switched.

·
Super Moderator
06 TrailblazerSS 2wd
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm out of room for coolers. I will have one or two coolers for the trans the radiator with nothing else In it. I will also have a motor oil cooler. And a intercooler with a 24x12x6 core. I have room for the house of boost cooler up beside the radiator. But that is about it, I just don't have enough room for the factory cooker it's just to big and bulky

·
Slow Ass Tbss
TrailblazerSS
2,761 Posts
The factory cooler is huge and runs across the whole length of the radiator. It will conflict with my intercooler because I'm trying to run a pretty massive air to air. I found one thanks to chris that house of boost uses. I Sent them a message trying to see if I can buy it from them but no response. But theirs is much smaller and I can put it anywhere
the hob kit came with a smaller one that I run, its aluminum i think and about 1/3 of the size.

·
Super Moderator
06 TrailblazerSS 2wd
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the hob kit came with a smaller one that I run, its aluminum i think and about 1/3 of the size.
Yep that's the one I'm looking for. I can't seem to beable to get in touch with HOB. Any one have a phone number or better contact info? I have sent them a email and a PM on the forum. No response

·
Registered
9-7X Aero
620 Posts
Not sure where to out this so I'll try here. Is the power steering cooler needed on our tbss? If I was to delete it what if any precautions do I need to take? I know guys with vetts that delete them and rd race but they swap to a different fluid and some of them run a larger resivore
On a side note, with the 9-7X Aero, Could that power steering cooler part, not the one thats actually cooling the power steering, but one like it, be used as a transmission cooler, say, mounted directly in front of it, for the trans?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts