Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eliminating all the chrome off my truck and I would like to powder my Borla exhaust tip to match my wheels. Does the exhaust tip get too hot for powder coating? I just don't want to have to have it re-done every 3 months.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,442 Posts
I am eliminating all the chrome off my truck and I would like to powder my Borla exhaust tip to match my wheels. Does the exhaust tip get too hot for powder coating? I just don't want to have to have it re-done every 3 months.
Nope, there is high heat powder for that.

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of. I was just hoping the tip was far enough away from the motor that it wouldn't get hot enough to affect the powder. Oh well:doh:

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,442 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. I was just hoping the tip was far enough away from the motor that it wouldn't get hot enough to affect the powder. Oh well:doh:
You misread... YOU ASKED: Does the exhaust tip get too hot for powder coating?

I said Nope, there IS a high heat powder you CAN do it with.
I believe its good to roughly 1000* or more.

·
Registered
2008 Saab 97x Aero
906 Posts
My buddy bought my shorty headers off my silverado and powdercoated them and it stayed... He said it was some kinda special stuff kevo here will know

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You misread... YOU ASKED: Does the exhaust tip get too hot for powder coating?

I said Nope, there IS a high heat powder you CAN do it with.
I believe its good to roughly 1000* or more.
Haha, sorry Kevin, I was watching a movie and on my phone when I responded. Now I understand. Thanks

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
I've seen tips coated black, I'd try it out if they didn't have a stupid logo on them. Exhaust is much cooler at the tip than it is at the headers so it should be fine. Only thing is it would probalby have to be a clamp on tip cause I'm thinking getting it welded would mess up finish.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,442 Posts
Its going to be welded back underneath far enough it won't really be noticeable. You can always block the powder like 1/2" from the welded end. Its going to be media blasted for adhesion so its not going to be shiny chrome anymore.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
453 Posts
You would NOT want to use high heat powder, or any high heat coating on an exhaust tip. An exhuast tip will not get hot enough to actually cure it, and it'll be weak. All high heat coatings..paint, powder, ceramics..rely on engine operating temps to fully cure. Take a look at the instructions on the back of high heat engine block paint from the local parts store for example.

Its important in coatings work to use the right material for the job. Standard powders will handle to 500 degrees typically..some up to 600. High heat powder will handle 600-1200(some only 1000, depends on supplier). For an exhaust tip you would want to use standard powder, high heat won't cure and will likely flake off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.