Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS, Silverado SS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just towed and the driver had the vehicle partially on the truck (front end), he put chocks on the rear tires to change the angle to not drag the exhaust. Here's the issue that concerns me... the truck was in park while he was pulling it up with the cable and the front wheels rolled while the back wheels did not roll. I can't seem to picture fully what happens in the transfer case to transmission connection when the front set of wheels move and the rear set do not while in park and the vehicle being pulled.

Any insight would be helpful so I can determine if I should pursue this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
06&07TrailblazerSS's
271 Posts
I have never heard of a tow truck driver pulling an automatic vehicle any distance in park. I want to hear what other people say.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
69 Posts
Were the rear wheels on chocks or wheeled dollies? Did he pull it onto a flatbed or tow it with wheel dollies on the rear wheels? The front wheels will turn in park because the transfer case is not in 4WD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Were the rear wheels on chocks or wheeled dollies? Did he pull it onto a flatbed or tow it with wheel dollies on the rear wheels? The front wheels will turn in park because the transfer case is not in 4WD.
The rear wheels were sitting on low angle chocks that were supposed to act as ramps to lift the rear wheels up to get the exaust tips off the ground (they were dragging before the rear tires hit his flatbed). He drove the vehicle up half way then parked it and forgot to put it in neutral after hooking chains, is what really happened, despite him trying to cover his mistake. So the end result was the front wheels rolled freely and the rear wheels just drug the ground. I don't fully understand the inner connection between front wheels, transfer case, front driveshaft, transmission and rear driveshafts enough to know if it's safe for the front wheels to roll while rear are stationary. My gut tells me that if I lift the front end up (both wheels off the ground) they won't spin freely from the rear.

This burns me because the reason it was being towed in the first place was the previous tow truck driver blew my airbags out on a different tow and it was sitting too low to be driven.

·
Registered
06&07TrailblazerSS's
271 Posts
These vehicles have week transmissions anyway. What the tow truck driver did sure wasn't helpful for your transmission. The only saving grace would be that it was such a short distance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These vehicles have week transmissions anyway. What the tow truck driver did sure wasn't helpful for your transmission. The only saving grace would be that it was such a short distance.
I guess I should start researching overhaul kits and clutch packs now, huh? I went through this with my 4L65E in my Silverado SS (made it to 210k miles luckily). Wonder if I can find a smoked one cheap and have it rebuilt and ready :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts