Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got my '08 TBSS last week. It has 39k on it, and it was a private lease up to ~38k. I can only assume it was beat on during the lease, but a quick pass by my mechanic seemed to check out. Took the plunge :)

Anywho, I've searched the forums, read the sticky, and gone back through appx 20 pages of the tranny forum. I just want a little direct guidance, if you have the mercy:

1) I understand that putting the boots to her is recommended in 3. So.. showing my ignorance here.. if I'm at a red light and just want to drive spirited (not WOT), start out in 3? Then when done accelerating, shift to D? How about merging on highway/passing? Guess I'm not sure when to go from 3 to D (lawl @ me).

2) I live in a cold weather state (snow for 5 months). Looks like the duct mounted tranny cooler is the way to go - will this be a problem in my climate (clog etc)?

3) I plan to stay on top of the oil and put in an extra 1/2 quart, change regularly, etc - anything else "backyard mechanic" wise that I can do (I plan to change the tranny and differential fluid and clean the MAF this weekend)?

Thanks for the help guys - I really appreciate it. I tried to answer as many questions as I could on my own, but kept reaching different conclusions. It's bone stock and is my DD (~40mi r/t commute daily)- so want to make the thing last as I love it so far.

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
1. If you're really worried about it, I would keep in 3 during city/town driving and D on the highway. If you're changing lanes, just keep it in D. If it's a highway in town with a speed limit of like 40-45 or whatever, I think you'd be safe to keep in D. Overall, keep in 3 for stop and go, D for cruising.

2. I don't know

3. Sounds like you've got everything covered. Just remember to get your scheduled maintenance and stay on top of parts that need replacing after a certain amount of time.

·
Premium Member
'06 AWD
5,094 Posts
1...My foots in it all the time around town wot or spirited....so 3 no d for me never know when you'll get the urge to stomp on it.
Passing...merging on ramps 3 no d. Highway d.

2...trans and fluid gets hot so unless you're in some god foresaken arctic place it will be fine.

3....make it a full quart and don't forget the filter when you do the trans change. I mark the maf and put it back exactly the same every time.

GL

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies gents.

@fyredawg - many would consider Maine a "god forsaken arctic place" :)

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
The reason for 3 instead of D is that the D (4) to 2nd shift (if you mash it in D) is the hardest for the transmission to take...

Someone with 104K miles just said he always downshifted to 3 first before passing on the highway, and this last time he didn't...

The combination of high miles and 4th to 2nd downshift was enough to end his transmission..... Although 104K is more than respectable on these trucks even if you have a light right foot...

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65070

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I don't mean to thread jack, but it's within the realm of question 1.

When does the truck shift down to 2nd? Obviously when you mash it from a start or low speeds, but why is the truck shifting to 2nd after just passing someone on the highway?

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
Ryan, cruising along about 50-60 then hammering the pedal to the floor will usually signal for the transmission to drop from 4 to 2, and it puts a big stress on, I think, a band, causing a failure quite often.

At least, that's what I've gathered from just reading stuff all over the place (ADD here).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts