Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have expierence with plastic welding? If, so any pointers, advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Moe

·
Right,Or right now?
2007 TrailblazerSS
16 Posts
Done it a million times. The pointers i would reccommend is to go get some good plastic cleaner like SEM plastic and leather prep. and make sure you sand the edges of the two areas you are bonding together then clean them really good to get all of that mold release out of that plastic. What do you plan on plastic welding? IMO i dont necessarilly think plastic welding is good for eveything, plastic welding is generally pretty weak, but it has its applications.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.
I'm trying to weld together Polypropylenen type plastic. If I identified it correctly.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,797 Posts
I was looking into this as a way to keep factory air box cover and washer tank with 4" FWI. I am curious as well.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not the washer bottle. I previously had my turn signals done using LED strips, thet just recently broke off while folding the mirrors in.
The guy was an older gentleman that welded and cut them before and he can't be found anymore. So, I'm trying to do it myself, doesn't seem to be too difficult of a task depending on the type of plastic I guess.

·
Registered
2000 T/A TBSS soon!
103 Posts
Not all plastics are created equal some work fine others not. I have used "fusor" products which are an epoxy with success on a lot of different types of plastics and air dams.

·
Registered
07 TrailblazerSS 2WD
303 Posts

·
can i haz bondo?
TrailblazerSS
400 Posts
the main ingrediant of repairing plastic is to identify what your working with
the back side of plastic will have the iso tag which you will see TPO/TPE/PP/ABS/TEO
and yellow plastic is polyurathene

polyurathene plastic is a non-offlien plastic which means ant ytpe of repair can be used even plastic welding with the universal rod will work

the other plastic are offlien plastics which are waxy and greasy plastics, which always always need a adheshion promoter for anything to stick long term, or doing the flame treatment

plastic welding is a great way of repairing plastic, but if no experience you can melt right through the plastic

this is what i do
i lightly grind both sides of the plastic, then i v-groove the crack, i have found using the universal rod that comes with the kit works well with all plastics, no rods?? you can cut off some the exsisting plastic from part of the plastic piece to use to fill the damaged area

i let the iron sit until its smoking hot, then i let the hot iron lighty melt the rod into the crack on both sides, cool it down then i d.a. with 80

you can use a amonia free glass cleaner to clean plastic before a product is applied, if you have a tpo/tpe/teo/pp plastic a adheshion promoter must be used!!!

then apply the correct plastic repair product over the area

once you get the hang of the iron and knowing when to use light to heavy pressure and pushing and pulling the iron it is a great way to fix plastic

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
I bought a used washer tank just for this purpose...

Is it possible to fuse two different types of plastic together... Like the washer tank and white pcv pipe... (ie. drill a hole through the washer tank, and use 4-5" white pcv to seal the hole...)
I was looking into this as a way to keep factory air box cover and washer tank with 4" FWI. I am curious as well.

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
i dont think the OP is plastic welding the washer tank. but if this has been done before, someone should start a new thread because im curious as to what can be done so the engine bay doesnt look say naked, and still has a "stock" appearance to it with running a 4" FWI

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Lord Corp. Makes the "Fusor" products, and for two part epoxies used in the proper application, they can't be beat.
fusor is some kick ass stuff, used it on many bumpers. Before i found that stuff i was using a soldering gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts