Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 293 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PipeDream's FI 418 Build Thread

I really have no good reason to do this. I have a perfectly good setup that consistently runs corrected mid 11's all day all motor with less than 5000 miles on it, but my dumb ass has an itch for more speed and a few weeks in between races starting today....

I picked up GoFish7's P1SC kit earlier this year and it has been collecting dust since. The motor in the truck now just isn't the ideal setup for boost. I then came across a built 418 LS3 with less miles and compression than my current motor about a month ago.....and here we are.

The goal for this year is to get it to run about a half second faster than it has been but with bigger wheels/tires (a setup I can actually drive on the street full time), full interior and no weight reduction. Should be pretty easy with the P1SC on the 418 IMO.

Once this race season is over it's going to get an F1A and a cage, still keeping all the interior and full weight. I'd like it to run mid to high 10's in the shit DA we have here like that.

I've already got 90%+ of all the items needed to make this swap happen. Gotta a couple small things on order plus what I'm sure I'll figure out I still need as the swap progresses.

Fuel system is dual 450's using the stock bucket, -10 feed -8 return. Boost regulated return steup. Still going to be flex fuel like it is currently but I'll be running E98 in this thing unless I'm in a pinch.

I picked up some ID1300 injectors but I'm only at about 50% injector WOT on the 850's now with E98 so I'm hoping I can get away with those until the F1A. I'm going to be doing pretty much my own tuning on this one and want to postpone the massive scaling the 1300's require as long as possible :boohoo: Going to be upgrading the OS and running this on a speed density tune.

The 4l80e currently in it with 4000 triple disc Circle D converter I'm hoping will make it through this season. The plan is to get a 1000hp capable 80e built this winter with a trans brake.

I'll be posting more details pics and updates as this progresses. I've got 3 weeks to get this initial swap done, and then will pick up on the further upgrades this winter.

:cheers1:

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
I have always loved your truck, even more so now/jerk

Reactions: PipeDreams

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's a couple shots of her after her last day at the track with the 408 today:

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds good man. What are you selling on your current setup?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I'm keeping the cosmetic stuff but I'll be selling the long block, electric water pump, NW 102 TB, intake, rails, heads, rockers, a couple cams, the valve covers that are on the LS3, and a few other things I've got laying around. It looks like I've got a local buyer lined up for the heads and intake manifold. I'm hoping to get a rather large for sale thread started not too long after I get this done.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
452 Posts
Swwweeeeeeet.

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Which bracket are you going to use for the head unit?

·
TT AWD TBSS Jeep
TT AWD SS Pwrd Jeep
5,825 Posts
I think your undershooting @ only a half a second gain. Converting to FI you should gain way more than that IMO.... But I think you know that and are being conservative.?!

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think your undershooting @ only a half a second gain. Converting to FI you should gain way more than that IMO.... But I think you know that and are being conservative.?!
I'm already committed to a class for the remainder of this season that I can't run much more than a half second faster than I currently am :)

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
From what I've read, that bracket is pretty much junk because it still flexes. I think you'd be better off relocating the battery, swapping the accessories and running a Camaro bracket. But that's just my opinion..

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I've read, that bracket is pretty much junk because it still flexes. I think you'd be better off relocating the battery, swapping the accessories and running a Camaro bracket. But that's just my opinion..
We shall see. Dave and I think Fran and a couple others have had pretty decent results with this bracket. I'll have plenty of time to fab/switch things up this winter if need be. Not too worried about it for the conservative D1SC setup.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
My .02 here from my past experiences and others. Since the HOB setup really doesn't have the best belt wrap I would swap out the 8-rib to 10-rib at a minimum. Yes, some have got away with the 8-rib but if you plan on changing head units later the bigger you go the more it takes to turn that charger. Get as much surface area on those pullies and a good green stripe HD belt. Are you even going to run an IC with E98? If so I'd honestly ditch the standard HOB IC and put the Treadstone 1245 in there. I'll tell you now you'll be swapping those 850's out, no way will those keep up on boost and E98 or E85 even with the big 450's.

Oh and skip the F1A and for F1A-94, bad little MF'r there and it will fit!

This sounds like another solid build, good luck!!

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS RWD
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My .02 here from my past experiences and others. Since the HOB setup really doesn't have the best belt wrap I would swap out the 8-rib to 10-rib at a minimum. Yes, some have got away with the 8-rib but if you plan on changing head units later the bigger you go the more it takes to turn that charger. Get as much surface area on those pullies and a good green stripe HD belt. Are you even going to run an IC with E98? If so I'd honestly ditch the standard HOB IC and put the Treadstone 1245 in there. I'll tell you now you'll be swapping those 850's out, no way will those keep up on boost and E98 or E85 even with the big 450's.

Oh and skip the F1A and for F1A-94, bad little MF'r there and it will fit!

This sounds like another solid build, good luck!!
Thank you! Yea going to be running the intercooler, already have the treadstone. I'm hoping I can get away with the 850's on a larger pulley on the D1SC with about 600rwhp for a the 2-3 months that's left of this race season. I can't run faster than 12.0's in the bracket I'm already committed to in 6000-8000' DA. I know they won't go much beyond that. I'm barely over 50% on them right now WOT on E98 pushing 500rwhp. Hopefully I'm not wrong but I've already got the ID1300's on hand just in case and won't be able to postpone the inevitable bitch that it will be to make the factory PCM work with them lol I'll check out the 94 and the 10 rib for sure. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
Thank you! Yea going to be running the intercooler, already have the treadstone. I'm hoping I can get away with the 850's on a larger pulley on the D1SC with about 600rwhp for a the 2-3 months that's left of this race season. I can't run faster than 12.0's in the bracket I'm already committed to in 6000-8000' DA. I know they won't go much beyond that. I'm barely over 50% on them right now WOT on E98 pushing 500rwhp. Hopefully I'm not wrong but I've already got the ID1300's on hand just in case and won't be able to postpone the inevitable bitch that it will be to make the factory PCM work with them lol I'll check out the 94 and the 10 rib for sure. Thanks again!
Don't run the 98% with the D1 and 850s, keep it to 85% max and keep the power below 650whp and you should be fine until upgrading.

·
Slow Ass Tbss
TrailblazerSS
2,834 Posts

Bracket is just fine for d1, spend money elsewhere like a trans and good front mount cooler to keep temps down when you spin the shit out of that blower. The green 8 rib belts last pretty good as long as you do proper pulley alignment with laser tool. 10's at full weight may doable but you will need to get that 60 down to a 1.5x.

·
making friends daily
07 TrailblazerSS AWD
9,331 Posts
Bracket is just fine for d1, spend money elsewhere like a trans and good front mount cooler to keep temps down when you spin the shit out of that blower. The green 8 rib belts last pretty good as long as you do proper pulley alignment with laser tool. 10's at full weight may doable but you will need to get that 60 down to a 1.5x.
All I saw was F1 in the future and I don't like doing things more than once lol

1 - 20 of 293 Posts