Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after the issues I had with the tuner and putting a street tune in. Kept on going to an AWD dyno at another shop for him to finish he flaked twice on me. Guess I won't be doing any more business with him.

Reached out to PCM of NC because they originally did all the installation of the engine work. Told them the situation and they were willing to reflash the PCM for me.

Decided to step up instead of mailing the PCM to them and buy the HP Tuners software with the MPVI3.

They were willing to send me a new tune for the car with the injectors I had installed ($65). That was a better experience than the last tuner.

Since I will be now getting HP Tuners, I am going to start picking everyone's mind about the software (That I know from the forum, not the 1 post wonders)

No wideband as of yet but with the datalogging maybe the vehicle will pull and run better.

Looks like I'm going to be hitting the books and learning a lot in the next couple months.

Again, thanks to PCM of NC for putting me in the right direction and getting me out of this issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PC of NC tuned mine, street tune as I’m AWD, and couldn’t be more satisfied.
They originally (prior owner) but I wanted to dyno tune the car. Problem was he put a new street tune in and never finished.

Started watching HP Tuner educational videos last night. Just got to why my car always had a MAF Circuit High Input pending fault.

·
Super Moderator
TrailblazerSS
1,432 Posts
FYI, pulled the wieband from the Civbomb..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
475 Posts
PCMofNC tuned mine. I originally had them do it just for efans and headers. I bought the HPT stuff from them as it will work on other platforms I have. Easy peasy..

I had posted a while back about a part failure from them. I tried to make it obvious that I wasn't bashing them, it was an application issue. Simply that they should change how they suggest things in the text of their website.

When I did the cam I also called on them. That ended up being a struggle. It ran like shit on the top end because it was leaning out as I was out of injector. Whoever does the tuning didn't notice that the correction had it at nearly 100% duty cycle. New injectors installed and "street tuned" by the place that did the cam and injectors. It was ~OK~... Shorlty after it bent valves..FML. Engine time

After I had the 402 done, a guy attempted to dyno tune it. Someone highly recommended in in the LS space. He put in about 50% effort. For some reason he only put about 20* of total timing in it. Left the whole thing SUPER conservative stating that the plug wires were bad.... Uh, so F*cking replace them. I just spent X thousands of dollars on a built engine, and am paying you several hundred dollars to tune it...MAKE IT RIGHT!!

I live in Phoenix. The engine was built, installed, and tuned in Vegas. My drive back from Vegas to PHX when it was done was less than impressive. I felt like I just wasted thousands of dollars. I had a few conversations with the tuner afterward, and he sent me new files. In the end I just called on the folks at PMCofNC. It took them a couple tries to get it to run right, but I'm happy.

I'm sure that the "mail order" tune isn't as good as a full dyno session, but it's close. I'm still on the stock trans and converter. That is gonna limit me on full power pulls and idle tuning, It runs good, get looks, and shreds tires. Thanks PCMofNC>

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is why I will be asking people like yourself with some experience.

This is a whole new learning curve for me because I have never been a "tuner" or engine builder.

Going to start with the Aem 30-0334, HP Tuners MPVI3 and the "mail order" tune with PCM. The new MPVI3 says it does the data scan / log / calibrate already.

That should be quiet helpful with sending the info to PCM then I can learn off their info.

Also throwing it out to the HP Tuner people.

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
475 Posts
To date, I probably have a couple grand into "tuning". The fellas in NC have been the best value.

Their customer service is not to be rivaled by many. Kelly is quick to action.

Reactions: Clutch_07SS

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then I'm going to learn from your experience.

Spent $300 on the local guy and now $65 on the tune from PCM.

Doesn't account for the $399.99 for the HP Tuners, $100 in credits and the $240 on AEM 30-0334.

It adds up quickly. But you and I wouldn't account for our time and learning on HP Tuners.

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
475 Posts
That is why I will be asking people like yourself with some experience.

This is a whole new learning curve for me because I have never been a "tuner" or engine builder.

Going to start with the Aem 30-0334, HP Tuners MPVI3 and the "mail order" tune with PCM. The new MPVI3 says it does the data scan / log / calibrate already.

That should be quiet helpful with sending the info to PCM then I can learn off their info.

Also throwing it out to the HP Tuner people.
I've played with a couple other platforms prior to HPT. HPT is super easy once you figure out how to navigate it. It has a nice "compare" feature. This allows you to see the changes from one file to the next. I would suggest signing up on the HPT forum. TONS of knowledge there. I'm not tuner....just fiddle with chit. LOL

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
475 Posts
If you have a fundamental understating of how air/fuel/timing work, and have the time to mess with it, you could do it yourself.

Me, I'm too lazy nowadaze.. LOL By no means am I rich, but I will happily pay folks to do the shit they are good at. I got my Crewcab Duramax to 600whp and sniffing at 12 second quarters mostly on my own. I still want to drive fast shit, but I just don't have the desire to pour over data logs to make minuscule adjustments anymore..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is exactly how the videos are discussing it.

Wideband vs Narrowband
MAF
Speed Density vs VE Tuning
Timing
Torque Tuning
Transmission Tuning

There is a heck of a lot out there to do.

I'm not made of money either, just want the best pieces avaliable, get some understanding and learn.

Once you stop learning it's time to change jobs or hobbies. You need to be doing it daily.

·
Registered
'07 3SS 2WD
475 Posts
Once you stop learning it's time to change jobs or hobbies. You need to be doing it daily.
Off topic....

I was a main line auto mechanic for well over a decade. I moved on to a manufacturing company with my skill set. Same shit, different window.. I'm about to move on...

One thing I would suggest to kids is not to turn your hobby into a career.

I've hand built and fabricate several vehicles from the ground up. Designing A-arm suspension systems that would travel 20"+. I live in the SW part of the US where high speed desert is the life...

While the extra canicular part is fun, one can (and will) rapidly get burt our out. I'll get exciteed about new stufff, and maybe install that. But, honestly, I dont even change my one oil any more. It's worth the 5 extra bucks for me not to have to lay on the ground

1 - 14 of 14 Posts