Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to the whole forums sites. I have done a lot of reading on here about the oil pickup on the TBSS. Please forgive me if this is posted somewhere but I would like to get the PCM of NC pickup tube becuase I am about to get my engine rebuilt but $279 seems a little steep for what your getting. I guess thats buying good insurance for your bearings so im sure its worth it. Does anyone have a coupon code for them? they have a place to enter one on their site. Or does anyone know when or if they ever go on sale. Do they ship quick? looking to get my engine done really soon to get rid of this horrible piston slap i have.
:dunno:

Thanks!

·
trailer park living.
TrailblazerSS
16,328 Posts
Welcome.

They usually have sales around the holidays. Shipping with them is about three days depending what time you order.

What part of Ohio you in?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
Might be some sort of sale coming, I think normally this time of year they throw something out there. I have done the pickup tube in mine since I am AWD and plan on staying that way for awhile. I did a few other things this last time around when I had it apart. I installed a saddle clamp for the oil pump pickup tube that utilizes both bolt holes and really secures the tube. I also had a problem with a relief valve sticking in the oil pump so I went with a pump that goes away from the piston and uses just like a ball check valve setup, with different pressure springs. The outlet port of the pump that interfaces with the block is cut and has an o-ring to seal it to the port. Here are a few pictures..
This is the saddle clamp, think it was $24...

Difference in the Piston vs Ball design.

The Oring to block interface....

The Pump with pressure springs, the Viton o-rings for the pickup tube and the pump. The Shims is part of the install kit which is separate simply because I did not want to cut up my feeler gauges.

It was all worth the money spent to not worry about oil pressure.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They also give military discount as well....

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I am in extrem northeast Ohio and with the cold my piston slap has become so loud. Glad to know it ships fast. The motor only has 53k on it. The previous owner had lifters and camshaft replaced at 49k. I hope my shop doesn't have issues with the oil pump. Thanks for the pics. Not military here. I'll probably just order it but coupon codes are always nice.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
89 Posts
How close are you to Erie pa I live in pittsburgh but I have a camp up by there. I've also been thinking of this upgrade and once my silverado ss is built then I'll start on the TBSS

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm about 50 miles away. Is the clamp needed for the installation or is it just for added strength? Being longer maybe it's a good idea. Sounds like you have some fun toys!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
189 Posts
Where did you get the saddle clamp from?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,859 Posts
Piston slap has nothing to do with the OEM pickup tube vs. The PCM of NC pickup tube. LS engines and piston slap have been around for a long time. Now eliminating a possible spun rod bearing or lack of oil to vital internal engine components is where the pickup tube can prevent this from occurring.

Reactions: KA47

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I understand that. Just saying I need to get my engine done soon. As long as it's apart I might as well do the pickup tube. Cold starts sound horrible and it never goes away but gets better the longer the engine runs.

·
Just a noob
TrailblazerSS
6,206 Posts
Yes I understand that. Just saying I need to get my engine done soon. As long as it's apart I might as well do the pickup tube. Cold starts sound horrible and it never goes away but gets better the longer the engine runs.
Are u saying you are rebuilding your engine because of piston slap alone????

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I am. If it went away after a minute or so I wouldn't worry but I can go 30 miles and still hear it.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,859 Posts
Then it may be a rod bearing, rocker or lifter...you know for fact you have penis slap going on in there??

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't think a rod would get quieter as the engine got warmer and the lifters were replaced at 49k by gm. Previous owner gave me the paperwork. I got the ss with 51k on it. I took it to gm and they said it was what they called piston rattle. Engine shop confirmed the noise. No glitter in the oil.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS 3SS
893 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys. Several are looking for the "girdle" clamp for the pickup tube. You dont have to use it but I have had some oil pressure issues and was looking for every little bit of insurance I could when I replaced the pump. Here is the link for it. Scroll Down a little ways and you will see it Also, while I was in there, I replaced the cam retainer plate as well. It seems that the o-ring made to the plate gets hard and does not seal well, so while doing the oil pump I replaced the plate as well with the newer style with the Torx counter sunk screws versus the 10mm bolts that was there. It was $20 from Summit so, why not. The oil pump was from here. I would recommend the install kit since it comes with the shims simply I did not want to cut mine up. So far, got about 600 miles on it and am about to the point of NOT hawk eye-ing the oil pressure gauge on start up anymore.

Reactions: RickBSS

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! I am going to order the pickup tube and the retainer tonight.

One more question: my 2007 seems to eat up oil which could be related to the piston slap. I thought I read somewhere that you could change something under a valve cover to stop this. At a loss here. Any input on this would be helpful.

Thank you everyone for your help

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,569 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this as well^^. Isn't it an improved valve cover design? My truck has 40k on the clock and it's drank a 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart on this oil change.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
89 Posts
Thanks for the order Michael. You got one of the last one we had in stock, I sold the last one this afternoon :coolthumb: We will have more in a week or two, for anyone else that is curious.

Oil consumption is pretty common with LS motors. Like GotSSmoked mentioned, a catch can is a good addition to have.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts