Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a member on here powdercoat my calipers ( lasted about a year and is basically all off) not going to name names because he hasnt ben on on months so im guessing thats why he is not responding to my offer to pay to redo them

Long story and my question.. will any type of caliper paint go over the PC with out problems? or do i have a job ahead of me and to take them all off and blast them again?

Im doing a red.. over the crappy PC blue

also what brand?

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
I have heard that powder makes an excellent primer or paint(if there is any powder left on the calipers). I just painted my calipers last week with the dupli-color brush on kit and followed that up with a light coat of the dupli-color spray paint. Check the "caliper paint" thread. I agree with Frank, it is all about the cleaning and prep work.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
453 Posts
Maybe bring them to me like you were going to in the first place:)

Pics would help me give better advice. But vettepower is correct. Adhesion is only as good as your first coat. If the powder has lifted, it'll keep lifting and take the paint with it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe bring them to me like you were going to in the first place:)

Pics would help me give better advice. But vettepower is correct. Adhesion is only as good as your first coat. If the powder has lifted, it'll keep lifting and take the paint with it.
lol, ya but this guy did them for free to start up his business after i talked up his work in return.

I couldnt pass that up.. but its a mistake i learned from.

as for a picture i took some matching spray paint and went over them so from a distance people couldnt see until i figured out what i was going to do

basically its not chipping or peeling. its like weird just starting to rust through on all the corners and edges. I know this sounds stupid but its like disappearing little by little from outside in.

ill go see if i can get a pic...

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,481 Posts
sounds like his process might of been a tad off - after the cleaning process he might of waited to long before applying the coating which was to late bc the raw metal started to form rust

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol i kno its upside down man.. i did it to all of them.. haha all my emblems are upside down and moved... lol i been in this discussion before.... but all in all its on purpose.. lol...

lol like you noticed......

my door emblems have ben moved as well...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
453 Posts
Glanced at the pics briefly but here's my immediate diagnosis.

1--Shit prep work. As in none. I can still see the factory rust prevention coating on there(hence why the bare spots aren't rusting yet)
2-Way to thin MIL thickness
3-Significantly under cured.

In a nutshell this means no adhesion, no encapsulation, and no strength. Basically the three foundations of what makes powder strong are all missing.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,440 Posts
Billy, Duplicolor Metalcast is what I used-no primer needed. But its all in the prep work. I used an angle grinder so smooth casting down, then used a die grinder with 120 grit flap wheel. After that I used clay and buffing wheel on the die grinder. They were almost polished looking calipers at that point when I sprayed the Metalcast on. Been on for 2 years and only a couple tiny chips on edges so far.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Although the spray method looks ok at first the G2 epoxy paint is very durable and lasts much longer than duplicrap spray... The key is starting with a very clean and chip free caliper.. I would def. remove the old PC.... Or like posted find a reputable powder coater!!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys... i ground them down.. and hit them up with red.. ran outta G2.. so used duplicolors caliper brush paint. ill get new calipers after winter.. possibly a new truck!!.. SS of course...........

SILVERGHOST: I aint messin around next time. Im coming straight to the pro (you)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts