Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am having the painter polish and detail the truck today and had them pull off the rest of my emblems. I had the truck re-painted about 3 months ago completely and when they put the side emblems and logos back on they were in the wrong spots. I pulled off a few of them but left the 'denali' and door protector ones on there to wait for this round of polishing to take them off.

Well now the painter says under these pieces the door paint is discolored. I have to go see it in person. But what would you suggest I do to fix this? is it their responsibility to now match the paint again if I'm not happy with it? They already got $7500 to do the truck and cashed that months ago.

Any tips would be appreciated. Would like to hear from guys who paint too if they've ever heard of this.

·
Premium Member
2006 white 2wd
3,246 Posts
The chemicals on the 3M protector probably mixed with the chemicals of the new fresh paint. Maybe?

FYI, the paint under emblems, 3M clear paint protector, stickers, etc... will always be affected. The paint on the rest of the vehicle is exposed to the elements (salt, sun, acid rain, etc...) and will never be the same color as the paint under the emblem, sticker, 3M paint clear protector, etc...:cheers1:

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chemicals on the 3M protector probably mixed with the chemicals of the new fresh paint. Maybe?

FYI, the paint under emblems, 3M clear paint protector, stickers, etc... will always be affected. The paint on the rest of the vehicle is exposed to the elements (salt, sun, acid rain, etc...) and will never be the same color as the paint under the emblem, sticker, 3M paint clear protector, etc...:cheers1:
I realize this. I should mention they told me when I picked it up first that I should let them remove these pieces even though I wanted to strip it off right when I picked it up 3 months ago.

The shop is not using shoddy materials. It's pretty amazing work they did fixing the rest of the truck. I'll try to take some pics later.

Maybe I can get some die-cuts made from the parts people on here who've made this truck what it is and line down my front doors like chumo :doh:

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so they took the 3m vinyl off the doors after paint.. and its colored.
I have a denali. It has these rubber strips down the side of the truck that are painted to match the doors. Real 1980's style if you ask me.

After 3 months of curing the water based job. Its different shades. Just not sure if I should tell them to fix it or just say screw it. Maybe wait till summer and have them fix it then.

·
Premium Member
07,09 -3SS- Blk,Slv
5,400 Posts
I have a denali. It has these rubber strips down the side of the truck that are painted to match the doors. Real 1980's style if you ask me.

After 3 months of curing the water based job. Its different shades. Just not sure if I should tell them to fix it or just say screw it. Maybe wait till summer and have them fix it then.
You might want to just wait and see if the discoloration fades over time. Have you seen it in person yet to make a decision on it either way?

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You might want to just wait and see if the discoloration fades over time. Have you seen it in person yet to make a decision on it either way?
haven't seen it yet. should be able to check it later today. I will probably wait. I just wasn't sure what happened. It is likely just simple sun fade and it will blend after another 3 months in my opinion and if it doesn't I will see what it costs to blend that bit and probably will ditch my running boards if I do that.

you can kind of see it

·
Supra collector
TrailblazerSS
216 Posts
I know I'm missing something here,cause I can't figure out how you had paint protection film installed and got cladding/trim parts installed and they somehow got installed wrong. If the shop installed emblems or other trim pieces in wrong place,they should take care of the discoloration issues.

I'd say it has something to do with waterborne paint ,in my 20+ years owning a paint shop I have never seen discoloration occur in 3 months,usually it takes years and from doublesided tape or black rubber,not clear paint protection film,that stuff should keep the paint from discoloring,not just from scuff,chips,e.t.c.

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I'm missing something here,cause I can't figure out how you had paint protection film installed and got cladding/trim parts installed and they somehow got installed wrong. If the shop installed emblems or other trim pieces in wrong place,they should take care of the discoloration issues.

I'd say it has something to do with waterborne paint ,in my 20+ years owning a paint shop I have never seen discoloration occur in 3 months,usually it takes years and from doublesided tape or black rubber,not clear paint protection film,that stuff should keep the paint from discoloring,not just from scuff,chips,e.t.c.
I think I mis-titled this. Its door-trim not protective film. The backing they put on the door had black 3M pieces on them.

·
Banned
18,856 Posts

·
Premium Member
Envoy Denali
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too agree..this has to be something with the waterbourne paint......I have never seen discoloration this quickly either.

Waterbourne is just now getting bigger and more widespread in its use, so maybe this is something to keep in mind for future paintwork for those of us that come across this thread.
I will definitely update this if the color fades in the next 3 months to match the rest of the panel. I kind of have a feeling it will :dunno:

Thanks for the info

1 - 13 of 13 Posts