Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,401 Posts
its a easy fix stephanie like 70 for the part and at most 1 hour to pull the tank off and change it out. make sure your low on gas

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,480 Posts
its not the truck but the crap gas on the market which no one wants to understand.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
its not the truck but the crap gas on the market which no one wants to understand.
:iamwithstupid: the crap gas definatly is one of the main causes of the problems. The sensor design isn't the most robust and sure there are failures due to that. But when I pull them out of the tank, usually the contacts are coated with contamination from cheap gas with shitty additive packages. You can easily see that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So, why do I only have this problem with the TBSS and not any of the other vehicles I have owned? My wife has had no issues with fuel senders or level indicators in her last 4 vehicles (none were GM or this type).

I know of 3 of these trucks (including a Saab 9-7......GM parts) within 20 miles of my house that all have this same issue right now and countless others on this list. I'll go with bad part sourcing by GM until otherwise proven incorrect.

·
Premium Member
2006 TrailblazerSS
3,224 Posts
its a easy fix stephanie like 70 for the part and at most 1 hour to pull the tank off and change it out. make sure your low on gas
I just put in 20 gallons of gas!! This should be fun for the dealer :rofl:

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
So, why do I only have this problem with the TBSS and not any of the other vehicles I have owned? My wife has had no issues with fuel senders or level indicators in her last 4 vehicles (none were GM or this type).

I know of 3 of these trucks (including a Saab 9-7......GM parts) within 20 miles of my house that all have this same issue right now and countless others on this list. I'll go with bad part sourcing by GM until otherwise proven incorrect.
The problem is not isolated to the TBSS. It is across most the entire GM truck platforms and some car platforms.

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,480 Posts
:iamwithstupid: the crap gas definatly is one of the main causes of the problems. The sensor design isn't the most robust and sure there are failures due to that. But when I pull them out of the tank, usually the contacts are coated with contamination from cheap gas with shitty additive packages. You can easily see that.

like Jay stated, it wasnt the best design and the fuel contamination isnt helping them survive either. chevron w/techron will prevent the circuit board from being coated with the crap presented in todays gasoline.

·
Premium Member
Bet you cant tell
6,480 Posts
The problem is not isolated to the TBSS. It is across most the entire GM truck platforms and some car platforms.

agreed as when i was with BMW and katrina happened, everything went down hill with the gas put on the market and even the fuel pumps were shitting out b/c of this.

·
Registered
711 Posts
No code yet, but the gauge stayed at 1/4 tank after a fill yesterday. Slowly moves up and down as I drive. Still under warranty and going to dealer.

·
wasting lots $$$ since 08
TrailblazerSS
788 Posts
i just keep my truck full and read my aeroforce lol:biggrin2:

·
Mrs. Tino
2007 RWD TBSS
18 Posts
Okay I have officially given up on my TBSS. I took it in for a Tranny last week, because the damn thing lost all gears except Reverse and D1. Got it back drove it to the gas station filled the tank for holiday driving and boom Check engine light and no fuel readings with a fuel light on. I immediately took it back to the dealership and they refuse to cover this stating it was just a fluke it happened 29 miles after pick up. Thoughts? Please.

·
Registered
165 Posts
agreed as when i was with BMW and katrina happened, everything went down hill with the gas put on the market and even the fuel pumps were shitting out b/c of this.
I know you are a big fan of the "bad gas" thing, but I have a point to make with that theory.

I just recently changed out two fuel level senders (one on a TBSS and one on a Saab 9-7x) and inspected both when I took them out. The way the original parts were designed and built, there are problems built into them that *may* not have anything to do with the quality or corrosiveness of fuels in the market today.

I know that you are a big fan of Chevron with Techron from your other posts, and there may be some truth to it which I cannot deny, BUT the way those arm units attach to the base that clips into the main fuel pump assembly is shit at best. Both of the arms on the units I replaced move away from the base unit enough that it pulled the metal contacts off the base in both cases. When gasoline is moving around inside the tank, it is pulling the contacts off the base more than not. The design of the replacement OEM parts that I put in had much longer contacts and I could not pull them off the base....plus the arm didn't move away from the base much at all, contrary to the OEM pieces.

Now.....if the fuel is eating those contacts away allowing them to lose contact with the base unit, then I would agree that there is nothing that they can do about it except try to use a different metal composition that resists fuel corrosion better.

Just my :2cents: Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Okay I have officially given up on my TBSS. I took it in for a Tranny last week, because the damn thing lost all gears except Reverse and D1. Got it back drove it to the gas station filled the tank for holiday driving and boom Check engine light and no fuel readings with a fuel light on. I immediately took it back to the dealership and they refuse to cover this stating it was just a fluke it happened 29 miles after pick up. Thoughts? Please.
I totally has nothing to do with the trans or anything else for that matter. They are wrong. Print off everything you can find on the P code and off this list and show them how many of us have problems with that piece. They are manufactured cheaply and GM needs to repair them all, if a warranty is still in place. I just got mine done last week under an extended warranty without issues.

If your dealer is going to act like that towards a paying customer with one of their own vehicles, take it to another dealer that repairs GM products nearby. That's crap.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Pug,
The funny thing is that I never had any issues with my gauge until after I had my cutout installed and then *BAM* as soon as I fiilled up the very next time, the gauge was acting crazy. I wonder if some of the moving, banging, etc. of a big undercarriage repair causes problems with those contacts on the sending unit???

Tom,
When did you do the other install? I guess you didn't want my help this time.:dunno:
Just kidding! How long did it take this time and did the clips come off by pushing them in?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tom,
When did you do the other install? I guess you didn't want my help this time.:dunno:
Just kidding! How long did it take this time and did the clips come off by pushing them in?
I just decided to do it last Saturday cause I had a free morning/afternoon to tackle it. I figured out a way to support the tank without needing the help of another set of hands. It was TONS easier than when you and I did it.....pushing in the clips worked.....it was difficult, but didn't break any. The whole job took me about 4 hours start to finish.

No sweat on not helping or anything....I knew I could do it by myself if I put my mind to it.:)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
64 Posts
Boom

mine is doing it as we speak......sucks; ran out of gas twice thinking I was good.......:jackoff:cheap parts if you ask me.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
64 Posts
Price $$$

:wtf: Went to chevy dealer today to inquire about gas gauge issue.... If it is only the sensor in the tank its like around $350, now if its the actual cluster that has an issue its in excess of $450. Asked how much gas tank sensor was alone and its a couple hundred. I dont know if it can be found cheaper but that is the going rate at GM. :fist:

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
403 Posts
Brought my 09 into the dealership today for a P0171 and a P0174. Tech comes out and said you also have a P0463, fuel sensor...

P0463 was fixed with Part #19178477

I don't understand how a low mileage truck can have all these oddities... :dunno:

The tech said P0171 and P0174 were because of bad gas. He recommended to drive to as low as possible and then fill up with good gas and additive. Where's the "good" gas???

Is Chevron w/ Techron recommended by the consensus here?

There a handful of other issues that were addressed today... will update other threads.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts