Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 ,Chevrolet, Trailblazer SS RWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in a long line at Starbucks drive thru and my temp gauge starting rising over 210 , 220 ,230 almost 240 lol , geez it scared me anyways I finally drove off and it cooled right away had the A/C blasting because I live in Orlando ,FL and its hot! So I took off and at every stop light it will rise again ,this time with the fan clutch making a loud noise when accelerating and lost of horse power. I drove my vehicle around for an good 30 minutes to see if fan noise will go away and it did ran normal again .This happens only when I sit for 15 to 20 minutes it will react the same way .I recently changed my fan clutch like 4 months ago ..because the other one was very loud and did not disengage at all so I purchased a new fan clutch from NAPA 200$ Hayden brand and now this is happening . I feel like I need to purchase a OEM part ..please help me thanks .

·
Registered
'07 TbSS 3ss
214 Posts
A few simple things to check. My first thought would be air in the system. Perhaps it's time for a coolant flush? Also make sure the radiator fins are not clogged with debris. Was the shroud put back in place?

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
273 Posts
I’m in Orlando also and my new 408 build will ramp up pretty quick when I’m in a drive through. I have e-fans and it will still get a little warm. I plan on going with one of the larger radiators too. I would recommend losing the mechanical fan and getting some e-fans or it will continue to get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few simple things to check. My first thought would be air in the system. Perhaps it's time for a coolant flush? Also make sure the radiator fins are not clogged with debris. Was the shroud put back in place?
Hey AZ07tbss I just looked at my radiator find and it's full of bugs and grime maybe that's the problem. Thanks for the tip I will be cleaning the fins on Wednesday ...oh and by the way I notice the fins on the inside where the fan clutch is some those fins are bent is that a concern ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes shroud still there and coolant fluid was replaced 1 year ago

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m in Orlando also and my new 408 build will ramp up pretty quick when I’m in a drive through. I have e-fans and it will still get a little warm. I plan on going with one of the larger radiators too. I would recommend losing the mechanical fan and getting some e-fans or it will continue to get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey MX763 ....yes ! I'm definitely considering e-fans for sure it's a must! and later on I will replace the radiator just because it always so hot in Florida . Thanks for the tip 👍

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,794 Posts
FYI the Efans cool WORSE Than the stock fan. Don’t switch to efans thinking it’ll be better.
I think overheating while sitting still, in Florida heat, with the ac blasting, is pretty common. I don’t believe there is an issue with your cooling system.
If you’re looking to get better cooling, upgrade the radiator. The stock rad is way too small for the truck. Ron Davis makes an upgraded one that will work with stock fans. Or you can get a larger one that requires efans, which id recommend getting the HD spal fans if you go that route.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
755 Posts
Yes shroud still there and coolant fluid was replaced 1 year ago
A couple questions... was the coolant a 50/50 blend? It needs the water to cool. Ummmmm... I forgot the other questions. Beer Me!!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
755 Posts
Oh... Did you come over from s10forum?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
637 Posts
Try some water wetter first. It's not going to fix major issues, but does make a difference. I've had multiple sets of e-fans and have a larger radiator. Only my current ones can actually cool the car. Unfortunately, they melt the fuses powering them on a regular basis, again overheating the car even though the wiring harness was made for them...

·
Registered
'07 TbSS 3ss
214 Posts
Hey AZ07tbss I just looked at my radiator find and it's full of bugs and grime maybe that's the problem. Thanks for the tip I will be cleaning the fins on Wednesday ...oh and by the way I notice the fins on the inside where the fan clutch is some those fins are bent is that a concern ?
I would try to straighten those fins, gently. It's all about airflow through the fins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts