Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the bank today and decided to take the highway which I rarely do since the TBSS is my daily it's mostly stop and go from me to my job. When I leave the bank the truck flashed the engine coolant hot message. So I decide to pull over and let it cool off. After the truck cools off I start it and drive home with the heater on full blast. I replaced the thermostat. I replaced the coolant as well. So after all of that I decided to start it and let it run until it got to the middle of the temp gauge. After it got to normal operating temp I drove it about 4 miles and it started to get hotter and hotter but I kicked on the heater for about 10 seconds and it cools it back down. Once I turn off the heater it starts to over heat again any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
850 Posts
Possibly still air bubbles in the system that are moving around. After it cools down, take the Radiator cap off, Turn the heater on, squeeze the upper hose, and let it go through a few heat cycles.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock fan? Is it working properly?
When it first did it yesterday it was whirring really loud like it wasn’t but it hasn’t do it today. I drove it to eat breakfast in town and it started over heating and I kicked on the heater for about 4-5 minutes and it went back down. It hasn’t jumped back up since

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly still air bubbles in the system that are moving around. After it cools down, take the Radiator cap off, Turn the heater on, squeeze the upper hose, and let it go through a few heat cycles.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Will do

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I went to the bank today and decided to take the highway which I rarely do since the TBSS is my daily it's mostly stop and go from me to my job. When I leave the bank the truck flashed the engine coolant hot message. So I decide to pull over and let it cool off. After the truck cools off I start it and drive home with the heater on full blast. I replaced the thermostat. I replaced the coolant as well. So after all of that I decided to start it and let it run until it got to the middle of the temp gauge. After it got to normal operating temp I drove it about 4 miles and it started to get hotter and hotter but I kicked on the heater for about 10 seconds and it cools it back down. Once I turn off the heater it starts to over heat again any help would be great! Thanks!
Well assuming you still have the stock fan on it your fan clutch might be worn out that’s why you have to turn on the heater and get your auxiliary fan to work if you have electric fance maybe they’re not coming on with the switch so you would have to check those along with the temperature gage it set up to

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well assuming you still have the stock fan on it your fan clutch might be worn out that’s why you have to turn on the heater and get your auxiliary fan to work if you have electric fance maybe they’re not coming on with the switch so you would have to check those along with the temperature gage it set up to
It hasn’t over heated since so I don’t know if it was just being temperamental or what but I’ll check the fan clutch this weekend

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bye bye fan clutch. Efans, ls1 water pump from 98 corvette along with 160 thermostat is what I’ve coverted to.

·
Silver Streak
TrailblazerSS
106 Posts
Sounds like air in the system with fan clutch failure. Too bad your not in Chicago I’d give you mine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts