Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gentlemen, and I use that term very loosely....

I know there have been a million posts on this subject, but im too old and getting too lazy to search around all day.

I am about to pickup my 4th now TBSS, but this will be my first AWD one and I am trying to figure out what the best and necessary mods/upgrades are I should do to the front Awd unit to make stronger and live a longer healthier life??

I have read about the oil mod, the grease mod, the set screw mod, the this mod and that mod, but What really works and what have others been happy with??? The plan is to make around 600whp when all said and done.

Please type replies large because I cant see small shit, LOL....
Thanks, Pete...….

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,852 Posts
LOL....

MOST EXPENSIVE:

1.BUILT BOOST ENGINE MOD.
2. FORCED INDUCTION MOD.
3. BUILT TRANNY MOD WITH HIGHER THAN STOCK STALL CONVERTER.

MODERATELY EXPENSIVE:

1. BUILT N/A ENGINE THAT PUTS OUT 600+ HP MOD.
OR BUILT ENGINE FOR NITROUS THAT GETS YOU TO 600+ HP MOD.
OR BUILT ENGINE WITH 600+ HP N/A WITH CAPABILITIES OF ADDING NITROUS ON TOP OF IT.
2. BUILT TRANS WITH STALL ABOVE 3800 RPM.

That's my opinion.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
507 Posts
Jim, I can't match your response with the OP's question...

Pete, opinions vary on this. Honestly at that power level I think you can keep most of the front end stock. I can't speak to what worked for me because my engine failed before I got to install the maggie. For 600 AWHP some will say the trans and stall are all that need upgrading. Over time the threads on the intermediate shaft can show signs of twisting. Some will say a fully built 4L70 tuned with torque management is good and others will say 4l80e is the best insurance.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,852 Posts
Jim, I can't match your response with the OP's question...

Pete, opinions vary on this. Honestly at that power level I think you can keep most of the front end stock. I can't speak to what worked for me because my engine failed before I got to install the maggie. For 600 AWHP some will say the trans and stall are all that need upgrading. Over time the threads on the intermediate shaft can show signs of twisting. Some will say a fully built 4L70 tuned with torque management is good and others will say 4l80e is the best insurance.
At that power level the LS2 will need some reinforcement. Oil pan mod or oil pickup tube relocate. Also the mileage on the engine will dictate if the bottom end is up for the task.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Jim is obviously drinking again, bcuz he totally missed my point of my post, Lmao!!
I know the 2wd trucks inside and out, but the new little thing on the front end is whats in question. THE AWD UNIT JIM..
Just trying to see what the best improvements to do are..
Thanks for the input so far...

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,852 Posts
Well, Jim is obviously drinking again, bcuz he totally missed my point of my post, Lmao!!
I know the 2wd trucks inside and out, but the new little thing on the front end is whats in question. THE AWD UNIT JIM..
Just trying to see what the best improvements to do are..
Thanks for the input so far...

Ohh...lol...gotcha...and yes I have been drinking some Sam 76 all day.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,852 Posts
Get you
a hard shaft, a new super greased up carrier and service the front and transfer case.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now thats getting better.. :)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,501 Posts
I'd reread justanothersuv's build thread. I remember him talking about front driveline changes, but it's almost 200 pages of posts.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,852 Posts
I'd reread justanothersuv's build thread. I remember him talking about front driveline changes, but it's almost 200 pages of posts.
Yes, but his mods were very extreme to say the least. Not even sure if anyone actually sells the hardened shaft and hardened coupler. There was also a few issues with the machining of the splines that had caused some issues. Not sure if they were ever addressed. He also made an additional hole for a forth mounting bolt for the carrier.

Again, these mods were all custom. Not sure if you can buy the parts he used.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
676 Posts
Since you are in south Florida .. if you are interested in a Bully Racing front diff I have one in my garage. I bought it last year and don't know if I will ever have the time to install it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
08 Silver 3SS
53 Posts
Pull the front axle disconnect, and clean/regrease it, or get another one, and replace it completely. I got a new one off a seller on e-bay that had some upgrades to it, and a new intermediate shaft. Turned out the original one I pulled out wasn't bad...…..yet. But all the factory grease had been slung up to the top. It's not really hard to pull, I am going to pull it once a year to check.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it the whole diff assembly or just the locker unit? And how much would u want for it? Thanks
Since you are in south Florida .. if you are interested in a Bully Racing front diff I have one in my garage. I bought it last year and don't know if I will ever have the time to install it.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pull the front axle disconnect, and clean/regrease it, or get another one, and replace it completely. I got a new one off a seller on e-bay that had some upgrades to it, and a new intermediate shaft. Turned out the original one I pulled out wasn't bad...…..yet. But all the factory grease had been slung up to the top. It's not really hard to pull, I am going to pull it once a year to check.
I think i def want to pull apart and do the grease mod with zerts? So i can pump good grease in at will. Also want to do the retainer upgrade with set screws and also strengthen the case with modified xtra bolt. I think that will get me started. If i can find a hardened input shaft i will do that as well.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
676 Posts
It's the whole thing. I just sent you a private message with a picture of the original invoice. I painted it a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the whole thing. I just sent you a private message with a picture of the original invoice. I painted it a few months ago.

I did not see a price?

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
676 Posts
I paid $1500 for it and would like to get close to that. $1300 and I'll deliver it. You are in West Palm right?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes i am. So that has the torsen unit in it and upgraded internals??

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
676 Posts
Correct ... I originally bought it because my SS is also my hunting rig and was one day going to turn it into a true 4wd.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
676 Posts
The gears, housing, etc. are all cryo treated. They may have an input shaft that is also cryo in stock. When I ordered this unit they didn't have any in stock.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts