Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS 2wd
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

I am looking at doing exhaust this year and there are so many routes to take. I do not have a ton of money for mods this year, so I am trying my best to do this on a budget. Here is a list of things I have on Amazon Wish List right now. What do you think?

PaceSetter 70-2276 Long Tube Header $253.57
PaceSetter 82-1171 Off Road Y-Pipe $138.82
MagnaFlow 54959 Universal Catalytic Converter(2) $129.36
MagnaFlow 12198 Muffler (1-3"in/2-2.5"out) $77.25

Total: $598.50

Or should I look at having someone do a True Dual Setup off of the Pacesetters???

·
Registered
973 Posts
I, personally, would do the pacesetter headers and a custom true dual with magnaflow mufflers. More power, better sound. JMO. Darn near everything else with an LS2 comes with duals, why not our vehicle :doh:

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS 2wd
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I agree Caleb...plus it might save me $70 or so .

So now my list looks like this...

PaceSetter 70-2276 Long Tube Header $253.57
MagnaFlow 54959 Universal Catalytic Converter(2) $152.18
MagnaFlow 12469 Muffler (2-3" in/2-3" out) $114.10

Total: $519.85

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Magnaflow 12599 is a tru-x muffler so you wouldn't need to purchase a x-pipe. That might help. Don't forget tubing, mandrel bends and fabrication cost.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS 2wd
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah Tim....I know...I am probably looking at well over $1000. Can you explain why I would need an X-Pipe or this 12599 Muffler?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
It will not make anymore power with a true duel on your truck. The single 3 inch will work just as well. Ive tried it both ways. Until you reach a certian power level the single 3 will do just fine. I actually went back the single on mine due to the duel being such a tight fit around the spare and acually gained a small amout of torque. It always had a small raddle somewhere.

headers, high flow cats (if you have to have them due to state reg.) and the magnaflow muffer will sound great.

Also try performancepeddler.com for the muffler. They seem to beat anyones prices.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
I agree with bubba on the true dual comment. It's not needed until 500 whp is what most say.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS 2wd
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Bubba. That is what I was thinking at first and since I am not doing anything else engine wise for a long, long time, it seemed to be the best route to take. Especially, since the exhaust shop will just have to run the 3" right where the stock Pipes were. I would like to go with Duals from the Muffler back so that I can utilize the valance I purchased...LOL!

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS (LT Based)
5,973 Posts
Thanks, Bubba. That is what I was thinking at first and since I am not doing anything else engine wise for a long, long time, it seemed to be the best route to take. Especially, since the exhaust shop will just have to run the 3" right where the stock Pipes were. I would like to go with Duals from the Muffler back so that I can utilize the valance I purchased...LOL!
Sean, I had mine installed at Big Al's on Pembroke Ave in Hampton, and they didn't miss a beat. There is one guy there who does all the custom work and he is very good at what he does. If you don't already have someone to do it, let me know when you're ready and I'll go up there with you.

·
Premium Member
2008 Trailblazer SS
3,987 Posts
your fist set up sounds good to me...im planning a single in/duel out myself. im never gonna make the power needed to truly utilize a true duel exhaust...

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS 2wd
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tony...I will do that. I have asked the Big Al's down on the southside and they seem very hesitant.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
254 Posts
I would go with the spintech mufflers...they sound sooooo good

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agree with bubba on the true dual comment. It's not needed until 500 whp is what most say.
So....why do GTO's and Corvettes gain power when they step up from their 2.5 inch factory true dual to a three inch true dual?

I watched an Fbody gain 30 hp to the tires with bolt ons from going true dual and tuning for it....he didn't gain 30 from just the tune....lol.

A X pipe with two mufflers is the way to go IMO. I don't like the "internal x pipe" mufflers being offered recently. Thats my opinion. Its a way to get duals without running two mufflers, but a nice X pipe and two mufflers mounted near the valance will have the least fitment issues and most likely the better sound. Alternatively since this is an SUV and the H pipes are supposed to give a small amount better torque you could use that as well.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
I never said he wouldn't gain anything but it will probably be so minimal it doesn't justify the cost.

Was the air temp the same when the f-body made that gain? Same tuner? Same dyno?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Same tuner, same dyno, damn near same temp (It was AZ, always hot...) almost spot on humidity.

He went from a magnaflow catback to a true dual with X pipe and magnaflow mufflers.

Car was tuned before (same guy) and then tuned after the swap to the new catback. He also had TSP 1 7/8 headers, and SLP lid....those are his only mods.... 2002 TA.

My personal GTO gained power across the board when I switched from the SLP LM1 2.5 inch to my dual three inch magnaflow setup and I'm under 450 HP. Gained 10-13 across and 15 at its peak. Same tuner, Same dyno, I can't comment on the temps and humidity because it was months apart.

Obviously you can't tell anything by a couple examples....but when you see every performance car with an LS2 come with factory duals, and the Fbody guys always swapping to duals...there has to be some kind of a reason or methodology.... thats my reasoning.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
It may have worked out well for your friend. Tell any of the respectable tuners on here you have a bolt on truck and ask them if you should go true duals. Lmk what answer you get

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've already asked....the way I'm doing my exhaust is the way I was told to do it. Headers, to an X pipe, true duals all the way back to mufflers before the valance.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
You doing any tuning/dyno time before and after. I'd like to see your results

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is actually the only LSX car I haven't had tuned yet honestly. I'll probably throw it on the dyno after the headers/catback and do the tune then. Even though it would help put an end to this debate once and for all....I'd just rather tune for all the mods I have all at once and be done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts