Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Senior Towmaster
2007 TrailblazerSS
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oil filters to avoid The Fram Group, Mobil 1 and Purolator

Fram is no longer owned by Allied Signal, it was bought by privately owned New Zealand leverage buy out conglomerate Rank Group, that bought Fram, Champion Labs and Luberfiner. Champion Labs makes the Mobil 1 Filter and they are owned and warrantied by The Fram Group. I buy A Mobil 1 filter because is isn't a Fram Orange Can of Death!

The Fram Group is horrible with a claim for defective filters and takes months if you have an engine failure through a 3rd party administrator company.

Presenting them with a cut open filter that the pleats failed on:

"You are welcome to send this in, however it is our policy to deny such claims because it is stated that the filter must be unaltered and intact to be given the opportunity to evaluate the product as a whole."

Also attached:

Purolator, who makes Bosch oil filters isn't good for over 3000 miles before it becomes a tearolator.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
I generally stick with the K&N HP series filters. Haven't had any issues and the nut on the bottom makes removal easy. For a cheaper filter the Napa Gold has worked well (which is made by Wix).

·
Registered
07 tbss
127 Posts
O'Reillys sells wix's. And car-quest filters are also made by wix.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,534 Posts
So is Mobil 1 bad because they have shitty warranty claims thru The Fram Group or did they fail? Thought you said they were made by Champion? So they don't fall under the Orange Can of Death, right? Also AC Delco is made by Champion, does that mean they are still good to use? I used AC Delco for the first 5 years of operation. I just recently switched to the long version of the Mobil 1 filter thinking it will "filter" better after my can swap and for longer service intervals.

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Did they change the design of the mobile 1 filter? If the design is the same then it should be good still right???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
I use the ac delco longer pf63 and haven't had any issues at all. I change my oil every 3k

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,534 Posts
Still waiting to hear from the OP on the questions above.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,313 Posts
I still like my lifetime, cleanable oil filter from K&P

NOTE:
LINK PROVIDED IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY AND DOES NOT DIRECT TO PART# REQUIRED FOR YOUR VEHICLE

S15 | K and P Engineering

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
I didn't see any info on ISO rating for filter. Nor any info on what level of micron level it's capable of filtering down to.

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
12,862 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,957 Posts
Ive been using the Purolator Gold filters for a long time now, always heard they were good???? I haven't noticed any problems, but haven't torn one apart either??

·
"THE MARLEY SOJA"
08' tbss
552 Posts
Using the the bigger royal purple filter 20-500 for a few years now with no complaint

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
All the reviews an tear downs listed Mobile 1 first, followed by the wix filters for Napa, then one of the purolator versions. But Mobile 1 ranked first for its build an filter ability construction!!

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,534 Posts
Well that's good news since I use Mobil 1 filters! :D

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
168 Posts
I've used Purolator Pure One filters in all of my cars for the past 15 years or so. Love them.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
I buy WIX off Ebay in bulk since both my 07 SS's use the same one. MCSS and TBSS

·
Jedi Knight
Saab 9-7x Aero
510 Posts
Million of people drink Sprite and Mountain Dew! After 1000 cans for two people of each soda, which do you think is worse than the other? While neither will kill them, which do person do you think is probably worse than the other after 1000 cans? The Mountain Dew person will be fatter from the sugar, less in shape, cavities.

So to say neither is better than the other is ill informed and uneducated statement!!

There are big differences in oil can filters! Do some web search, plenty of dissections of cans to show build quality, build materials, and effectiveness. Fram was not so great, especially their bypass valve construction was pitiful!! Not worth risking my $7000 dollar engine!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts