Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put on about 4000 miles since I bought my TBSS and the oil change monitor is still at 51%. That includes a 2000 mile road trip and a lot of highway driving between Chicago and Milwaukee so it's understandable, but I want to verify I can trust the DIC. I would change the oil in my Envoy between 25% and 30% life and it was sometimes 8000 miles when I did a lot of highway driving.

Sorry if this has been posted. I tried searching and got a lot of unrelated posts.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,710 Posts
You should be fine. Some change it every 5000 miles. Some change it every 3000 miles. It is a matter of preference.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
I change mine every 5000km with mobile 1.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,012 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
Personally, I think oil level is just as important, if not more important.... even if you only change the oil every 10K miles, make sure you stay on top of the oil level... I only drive around 3,000 miles a year, so I change the oil just under the 12 month mark... I've changed it 4 times: 1,700 miles (right before the first track runs), 4,500, 7,400, and right at 10,000...

But again, never let any car / truck run even a little short on oil... Better to have one quart too many, than one quart too little...

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,503 Posts
Personally, I think oil level is just as important, if not more important.... even if you only change the oil every 10K miles, make sure you stay on top of the oil level... I only drive around 3,000 miles a year, so I change the oil just under the 12 month mark... I've changed it 4 times: 1,700 miles (right before the first track runs), 4,500, 7,400, and right at 10,000...

But again, never let any car / truck run even a little short on oil... Better to have one quart too many, than one quart too little...
True, but my SS doesnt use any oil in 3K. I have maybe 3 teaspoons in my catchcan when I change the oil. Always run 6.5 qts

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
I changed every 3k (6.5qts) until the new motor. I will be adhering to a schedule of every 6 months, which should be less than 2k miles or less from now on!

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS AWD
2,178 Posts
I do it every 3-4k in my vehicles. Never had an issue with these LSx motors even at 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,062 Posts
I Do Every 150%. When My DIC Gets To 50% I Reset It To 100%. Works Out To Be About Every 5-6K. I Use Royal Purple.

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,386 Posts
Why are people changing synthetic oil at 3k intervals?
I know....seems like a waste doesn't it? I change mine when the DIC tells me to. I use Mobil 1 (have been using it in all mine since 1980) and with newer tolerances in engines, better materials in filters, no lead, more efficient burn, computer technology, the DIC is based on engineering algorithyms developed over many years and millions of miles of testing. And its still conservative. So change it when it tells you to. 3K is overkill, old school and is only a personal perogative. Mine usually comes into play around 7-8K miles. In my 79 Monte Carlo I went 104K miles when I opted to change from a 305 to a 4 bolt 350-traded it for a boat 13K later. 305 still looked like a new engine. 76 Malibu 113,000 miles when traded it in for an 86 Monte Carlo SS and its still ran great, 176K miles on the 86 SS and it still has the same engine and is currently going thru a full restoration, 93 Jimmy with 142K miles sold it to a friend who put on another 30K before selling it. 98 Prizm 104K before it got totaled/rearended by an ignorant kid on cell. Like has been said make sure you keep it to the full level at all times.

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
I run 6.5 quarts and change it every 3K miles. Always mobil 1 and filter but right now I am running half a quart of MMO.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts