Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a total novice w/ car audio, so I'm wondering how much dough to gauge for a setup with something like:
- (1) 12" sub (Was thinking Kicker [my buddy has Kicker stuff])
- Amp of good quality (just enough to power the sub)

And do you guys think it would be wise to replace speakers? My brother has 2 12s in his Jeep that really kick hard, and he replaced his speakers to speakers with more treble, to make it so the bass didn't drone out all the treble from the speakers.

·
Registered
2006 White 2WD LT
274 Posts
Bout 600 bucks roughly. My factory speakers are fine for now.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I bought a 10'' Kicker L7 and an MTX amp used off the board for 400 bucks. Little bugger thumps!

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a 10'' Kicker L7 and an MTX amp used off the board for 400 bucks. Little bugger thumps!
My brother tells me that when going from 12" to 10", it's not only a difference in output, but also in the way it thumps... how true is this? He's been known to make up these myths, lol

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
It all depends on sub/enclosure/amp/design of the car

I had 2 JL 12W3s with a 500/1 amp in my 2000 Z28. The well box of that car bounced the sound waves off the back window, it was ungodly loud.

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It all depends on sub/enclosure/amp/design of the car

I had 2 JL 12W3s with a 500/1 amp in my 2000 Z28. The well box of that car bounced the sound waves off the back window, it was ungodly loud.
So with that being said, what sort of setup would you recommend for the SS?

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
your setup depends on what your goals are. I didnt want to give up that much cargo space so i went with 1 10'' Kicker L7 because I got a good deal on it.

The best advice I can give is don't buy more than you want. Don't get the biggest baddest setup if all you want is some low end bump.

·
Premium Member
'07 3SS AWD
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some extra bump IS all I want... so you'd say 1 sub (10 or 12) with a quality amp should satisfy my needs?

·
Registered
TrailBlazerSS
665 Posts
sub up port back.
The more cone area of a woofer the louder it will be, however, size has nothing to do with how low a sub can play. Base your woofer size off of how much space you want to sacrifice. Ive heard 2 8's hit deeper and louder than 2 15's because they were in the right enclosure.

·
WANNABE SS OWNER
Trailblazer SS 2wd
16,025 Posts
I added the Boston Acoustic 10" woofer/enclosure combo(sealed) and a 500w Alpine amp and it really added the low end grunt that I was looking for. I think I put right around $700 and that included the Isimple Ipod interface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts