Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the market for new all season tires and decided to go with either Nitto NT420 or Hankook Ventus ST 275/45/20’s. My question is in regards to the TPMS sensors. Can I use the current TPMS sensors with the new tires? Also, one of the sensors broke so I replaced it with a regular stem valve. If I purchased a used oem TPMS sensor on eBay, does it still need to be programmed?

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,235 Posts
Yes and yes, the sensors will work with any tires you would like. You can get a new/used sensor but it will need to be programmed. any decent tire shop can install it and program it. Usually they will do it no charge or for very little extra.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and yes, the sensors will work with any tires you would like. You can get a new/used sensor but it will need to be programmed. any decent tire shop can install it and program it. Usually they will do it no charge or for very little extra.
Thanks for that confirmation, I was taking the truck to Discount Tire if anything.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In addition, I shouldn’t have a problem running 275/45/20 on stock wheels like a lot of members on here? Or are those aftermarket? I believe stock wheels are at 20x8 and the tires I want recommend 8.5-10.5.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
207 Posts
In addition, I shouldn’t have a problem running 275/45/20 on stock wheels like a lot of members on here? Or are those aftermarket? I believe stock wheels are at 20x8 and the tires I want recommend 8.5-10.5.
Discount gave me so much shit wanting to run 275/45/20’s. They told me their computer system would only allow me to run 275/55/20. They put them on and rubbed like hell. So discount replaced them with 265/55/20 as they still would not install a 45% sidewall unless it was on the stock 255’s. These are rubbing slightly and Discount said to bring it back and they would install the stock size. They are dead set about not installing a 45% sidewall on anything wider than the stock tire width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Discount gave me so much shit wanting to run 275/45/20’s. They told me their computer system would only allow me to run 275/55/20. They put them on and rubbed like hell. So discount replaced them with 265/55/20 as they still would not install a 45% sidewall unless it was on the stock 255’s. These are rubbing slightly and Discount said to bring it back and they would install the stock size. They are dead set about not installing a 45% sidewall on anything wider than the stock tire width.
First time hearing that, I seen a few members on here running the 45 sidewall without any issues. Not sure why Discount gave you problems, their site even has the 275/45/20 option when I put in my TBSS info.

·
Premium Member
07 tbss awd
1,235 Posts
That’s ridiculous, most 275 series tires have a narrower section width than the stock 255 Goodyear RSA’s anyway.

A 275/45R20 will fit perfectly fine on a stock wheel. I and many others on here ran them for many years without issue.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
207 Posts
First time hearing that, I seen a few members on here running the 45 sidewall without any issues. Not sure why Discount gave you problems, their site even has the 275/45/20 option when I put in my TBSS info.
For sure! This was up in Indianapolis. I went to two different Discounts up there and they were all adamant and pretty rude about it. Very arrogant and cocky. You know, “we work at Discount Tire so we know cars better than anyone” kind of attitude? The TPMS system wouldn’t go into learn mode and they blamed it on the ECM. I took it to the local dealer and they scanned it. Boom, one of the TPMS sensors was reading 0 psi. I took it back to Discount and they finally rebuilt the TPMS and the problem was solved. When I get this build completed, I’m going straight back for new tires and I’m going to try and get the local Discount to do 265/45’s.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For sure! This was up in Indianapolis. I went to two different Discounts up there and they were all adamant and pretty rude about it. Very arrogant and cocky. You know, “we work at Discount Tire so we know cars better than anyone” kind of attitude? The TPMS system wouldn’t go into learn mode and they blamed it on the ECM. I took it to the local dealer and they scanned it. Boom, one of the TPMS sensors was reading 0 psi. I took it back to Discount and they finally rebuilt the TPMS and the problem was solved. When I get this build completed, I’m going straight back for new tires and I’m going to try and get the local Discount to do 265/45’s.

I'm just curious if the 275/45/20 will fit my stock wheels with no problems.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
207 Posts
I'm just curious if the 275/45/20 will fit my stock wheels with no problems.
They will. If I remember correctly, the 275/45 is over an inch shorter than the 275/55.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,497 Posts
I've ran 275-45-20 on stock wheels without any issues. Firestone installed them without any hassle. But like said above about Discount Tire, they refused to install any tire that wasn't the stock 255-55-20 for me. Even when I showed them on the Discount Tire website that it lists 275-45-20 as a +0 tire available for our trucks. Don't know why they are such sticks in the mud about it.

·
Registered
2006 TBSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the input y’all, I’ll be going with the 275’s and hoping Discount over here doesn’t give me problems. I’ll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
2006 Black TBSS
354 Posts
I had 275/45/20 Cooper Discoverer HT Plus tires on mine that I ordered from Discounttiredirect.com and shipped to my house. The local Discount store installed them, no problems. I get a nail in a front tire 5 years later and they pull the front tire off and then say it can't be repaired but they can order me a new one. Then the computer says this size tire can't be installed on this wheel it's too big. Basically I'm stuck there with no front tire and you can't mix another size because of the AWD. After a lot of arguing that if the tire they installed can't be installed on the truck to begin with the manager says he wants to right their mistake and offers me a set of new Falken Pro G5 CSV tires in the stock size for free. It has turned out to be an excellent tire, great in the snow and exceptionally quiet.

·
Registered
2008 TrailblazerSS
207 Posts
That’s really awesome! My experience with discount was not so good up north but locally here, they seem to be pretty accommodating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts