Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'02 TBL LT, 6cyl, 325K miles; '06 TBSS 6.0 LS2 150K miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching for a forum like this for a while. Neighbor has an '06 TBSS that her ex-BF was working on. It does not run, its blocking her driveway and she wants to get rid of it. I want to buy it, but could really use some guidance.
I don't know much about it, other than he had been working on it for a while. Had it running briefly. Then, I'm told, he put a new oil pump in it, went to run it, and it made some "terrible noises".

He took a hike shortly afterwards and it has been sitting for about 6 months. Battery is dead and it won't hold a charge. when trying to jump start it, starter solenoid engages, but starter does not crank. (corroded connection? Corroded solenoid contacts?)

So, my big ask, body and interior seem to be in good condition. Being uncertain about the condition of the engine, going worst case that it might need to be replaced, what is a fair offer to her?

Note: My wrench skills are amateur. I do most of my mechanical repairs, and have kept my 2002 TBL L6 running for 325,000 miles, but have not torn down an engine since my '65 Mustang 289, back in 1972.
I if I buy it, my plan would be to drop the oil pan and check things out before doing anything else.
Open to any guidance provided here!
TIA,
John

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
914 Posts
The BIG question is who's name is on the title? The boyfriend?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The BIG question is who's name is on the title? The boyfriend?

Its hers and she has clean title to the vehicle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Offer $6k and see what she counters with. I wouldnt go over 8k if it has some upgraded parts that justify a non running car

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,616 Posts
How many miles on the body? Leather seats and auto HVAC controls or cloth seats with manual controls? Considering you don't know about the state of the brakes, transmission and other components, $6K is a good starting point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A lot depends on mileage and options. If it's 2wd base with 250k, that's a lot different than a 20k mile loaded AWD.

Considering the engine and Trans are only 6500 to 8000 for a takeout, assuming it's got 100k plus minus 30k miles, I'd say that's a $12 to $14k truck. Swap the motor worst case and you're into it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been searching for a forum like this for a while. Neighbor has an '06 TBSS that her ex-BF was working on. It does not run, its blocking her driveway and she wants to get rid of it. I want to buy it, but could really use some guidance.
I don't know much about it, other than he had been working on it for a while. Had it running briefly. Then, I'm told, he put a new oil pump in it, went to run it, and it made some "terrible noises".

He took a hike shortly afterwards and it has been sitting for about 6 months. Battery is dead and it won't hold a charge. when trying to jump start it, starter solenoid engages, but starter does not crank. (corroded connection? Corroded solenoid contacts?)

So, my big ask, body and interior seem to be in good condition. Being uncertain about the condition of the engine, going worst case that it might need to be replaced, what is a fair offer to her?

Note: My wrench skills are amateur. I do most of my mechanical repairs, and have kept my 2002 TBL L6 running for 325,000 miles, but have not torn down an engine since my '65 Mustang 289, back in 1972.
I if I buy it, my plan would be to drop the oil pan and check things out before doing anything else.
TIA,
John
ADDED INFO:
ODOMETER READS 126,000 VIN 1GNET13H762208918 Cloth interior, in good shape ADDING SOME PHOTOS
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive air manifold
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Gear shift
Car Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part
Font Auto part Gas Electric blue Event

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,212 Posts
I spy longtubes also so probably safe to say it has a tune also.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: lkg417

·
Premium Member
Sold
6,026 Posts
Some variant of Big 3 wiring mod and real deal AC Delco battery.

Reactions: lkg417

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
231 Posts
What is the red wire right above the battery (close to the strut tower) that is not hooked to anything? Mine is also like that, and I’m not sure what it goes to.

·
Registered
2008 TBSS Red Jewel RWD
914 Posts
What is the red wire right above the battery (close to the strut tower) that is not hooked to anything? Mine is also like that, and I’m not sure what it goes to.
Trailer stuff or time travel ... I use it for time travel. I can't believe that I'm the first one asking this but, a chick with a TBSS ... is she still single? Please post pics of her

Reactions: Interceptor08

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

TIA,
John
I appreciate all the responses! I actually DID buy this TBSS for $4k. Title was clean and is now in my name. Its sitting on my mechanic's lift, engine pulled and torn down. Turns out the previous boyfriend threw a rod, put a hole in the block. Now I am scouring the earth looking for a Vin H short block, or any other solution that will get me on the road.
I've posted in a few other threads, but would welcome suggestions from anyone here.

My best route right now is about $7K for a rebuild from Fraser Motors, then about $2K for my mechanic's work, putting me at around $13K. (one of the responders below actually nailed it!)
TIA!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts