Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the SS in for a brake fluid flush today and had them check brakes. They showed me the front rotors are at the minimum thickness and have a lip around the edge. The pads have maybe 30% life left. The rears look like they could go another 30k.

The brakes have never been changed, still factory everything. 34k seems too soon for factory motor replacement.

Are the rotors on our trucks really that soft of a material? I'm not that hard of a driver and figured I would get at least 1 or 2 turns on the lathe before replacing.

·
Premium Member
'08 TrailblazerSS
4,146 Posts
Usually no. Basically the stock brake pad is the corvette friction material on the TBSS backing plate. The friction material is VERY aggressive usually causing the rotors to be replaced along with the pads from wear. Mileage before replacment may vary depending on driving habits / conditions, but needing to replace the front rotors with the front brake pads is pretty much normal.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
TrailblazerSS
9,572 Posts
Good info to know, thanks guys.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just a little curiousity. Why the need to Flush the fluid so soon???

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Because at 30k miles, the brake fluid could have absorbed a lot of moisture, depending on climate, and the stock fluid sucks. Upgrade to DOT4 and add my stainless brake lines and you will be good to go!

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because at 30k miles, the brake fluid could have absorbed a lot of moisture, depending on climate, and the stock fluid sucks. Upgrade to DOT4 and add my stainless brake lines and you will be good to go!
It's more of a routine maintenance thing and usually recommended to flush the entire system with fresh fluid every 2 years. Over time and with heat, the fluid begins to absorb moisture (reducing its boiling point) and break down leading to a softer pedal and/or corroding brake parts from the inside.

My last vehicles have always been done when replacing brake pads, but I don't put on as many miles per year on the SS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts