Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys check this latest thing I've been screwing around with on the weekends... As you can tell lake season for us is over!

Its called First Person Flying. You use a small video transmitter/receiver to control RC airplanes/boats/helicopters/cars/ etc.. Some guys are going 15-20 miles away. I built a small setup that so far I've been able to go about .75-1 mile for about $70 total. I could probably go farther.. I just don't' have the courage yet. I'm still working on antennas and a better display. Anyway here is a video from some guy on a forum I visit just to give an idea.

http://www.vimeo.com/15713426

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts
Cool indeed. Bet the terrorists love that site.

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Man you like that stuff!! That bid you posted ibercrhe lake was sick!!

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is no where near that "high tech" yet. His setup isn't all that crazy, its kind of misleading.. Hes flying from a video that is not as good as that quality at all. He carries a video camera for FPV and also a go pro hero for HD filming.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, just bought some new gear! The original stuff I had was cheap and easy meant to get me up and running quick to see if I like it or not. I only had a "sure" range of about 1000ft if I had to guess. It was purchased from HobbyKing.com

This new stuff will be going on this sort of airplane. Its a Parkzone Radian sailplane. What sucks is I've had one of these about a year ago and sold it. I never was able to run the battery out, its meant to climb then glide around for a while so you use very little power. I would get sick of it before the battery would quit.. thats good for FPV!

I also purchased a pan and tilt mount for the airplane.. It plugs in where the factory canopy originally sat.

The last thing I got was a set of goggles... I have been viewing with a small security cam TV or a laptop. The laptop has issues with light and latency. No matter how powerful the laptop you'll have a delay. The security cam TV required 110v and is in black and white only.

Once I build the piggybank back up I'll be adding a HUD OSD (On screen display). I haven't made up my mind on which yet but here is an example. Little things like Autopilot, Return to Home, etc.. are often included with most OSD packages and run about $200. Return to home is a popular feature. In the event of a radio link lost the OSD flies the airplane back to GPS coordinates stored at startup. Once it reached that position it will circle above in a holding pattern so as you can hopefully regain control.

http://vimeo.com/6660421

The last gadget I'll be adding if I'm a good boy and santa does his job is a head tracker. Its a small device you add to the goggles that makes the camera pan and tilt as you move your head.. Total immersion!!!!

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
That what I want, but I will wait until the stereo vision full HD stuff is cheap (do they even have that yet?)

·
Premium Member
2008 Imperial Blue
4,473 Posts
At first I was thinking, whatever, to each his own, but then I saw the video and it's very cool.

First off, I really dig the area where the video was shot, even liked the music (rare for me).

Alvin, what does it cost to get start in something like that? I can think of some really cool places out here to play around with that, and maybe the kids too, if it's not too hard.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black TBSS
2,687 Posts
I have been wanting an rc plane for years, and wanted to be able to do this. I may have to get back into looking at this shit. Thanks alot Alvin! Just what I need, spend more money!

·
Registered
165 Posts
It would totally suck if you blow it into a mountain top somewhere......you'd never get your gear back. And, if you had an expensive camera mounted on it and such it would make it even worse.

The hobby looks cool though. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts