Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be installing my trans tomorrow morning. I've been reading up on the install procedures but I'm always looking for tips/advice from you more experienced guys. The install will be done on jackstands in my garage. Are there any special tools that i need or will make this go any easier? I will be picking up a tranny jack and 3' extension this afternoon. Any tips, tricks, or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance

·
Bad Monkey Racing
1,559 Posts
More extensions and if you have manifolds make random passes at the nuts and studs with lube as much as possible before you start, so when you go to take them off they come off easy. When i installed the new tranny with the converter I had to install shims. I used alot of Vasoline, goob up the washer and bolts when you install them and they stay in place to make it easier to install. Everything else seemed pretty straight foward.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. This is just a install. If I wouldve had the chance to remove the trans it wouldn't be a big deal to me. Mostly concerned with figuring out which bolt goes where lol

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,347 Posts
One PITA issue that I thought would be small was getting the trans dipstick/filler tube back into place. I tried to put it back in after trans was all bolted in and crossmembers in place but couldnt :argue2:. I would say put the tube in while or before bolting in crossmembers. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,200 Posts
New arp verter bolts

make sure to locktite them in. Need a 4 foot extension and a swivel to get them from the front.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Keep the pointers/advice coming

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Make sure your converter is fully seated into the transmission before it goes into the truck so you dont break the pump. If you use a flat edge from the surface of where the trans touches the block then measure back to the mounting pad of the converter you should have no less than 1" if not closer to 1.125"

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read it twice and gonna read it again before i start in the morning. I think i have all the tools and fluids I need. Just ready to get this started

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a tough time lining the converter up with the flywheel today. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll have time to cool off lol. Any advice?

·
Call da amber lamps
TrailblazerSS
966 Posts
Wish you were closer, I'd offer an extra set of hands.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the offer guys. I'm sure I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong in the morning. I'm not in a rush to finish anyway lol

·
Bad Monkey Racing
1,559 Posts
it goes on the little bracket for adjusting the shifter, it kind ratchets back and forth. its the lock to prevent it from moving. It slides back and forth and is black. I would take a pic and show you but that not happening from here. I think lol

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was on the phone with another member and he was telling me where it went lol. Thanks guys. Time to crawl under the truck again...

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Next question. I've checked, double checked, and triple checked but I can't figure out where this bolt goes. Looks like a cross member bolt but all are in place. Anyone wanna clue me in please.

Just got to figure out where this bolt goes and put the new tranny cooler in and I'm done til tomorrow. Tranny shop that did the original build and the last removal didn't put the dipstick back in the tube. I have no way to check the fluid level until I get the dipstick back

1 - 20 of 27 Posts