Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on running twin 6265s or maybe bigger but need some opinions on a few things.

I want to go with a 408 because of price and could sell my short block or put it into another project.. Where would u have one built at?? (LME, LEP, texas speed, etc)?

I also going with a 4l80 trans but im unsure on stall size. I was thinking about a billet 3600 enough to hold 1000rwhp.. What r yall thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2wd Turbo
11,126 Posts
I plan on running twin 6265s or maybe bigger but need some opinions on a few things.

I want to go with a 408 because of price and could sell my short block or put it into another project.. Where would u have one built at?? (LME, LEP, texas speed, etc)?

I also going with a 4l80 trans but im unsure on stall size. I was thinking about a billet 3600 enough to hold 1000rwhp.. What r yall thoughts?
So are you going to start fresh with everything on a new motor?

What block? 408 on an ls2?

Stall is going to be all on where your boost comes in.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,512 Posts
Chris I think all those shops are good it just what you think about there customer service. LEP is on the forum here so obviously you would be getting a good product. But Texas speed is only 130 miles away from me and I would pick it up for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So are you going to start fresh with everything on a new motor?

What block? 408 on an ls2?

Stall is going to be all on where your boost comes in.
Yeah start with fresh.. 408 would be an iron block.. would like to stay with my block but it is cheaper to get a 408 built than my block built into a 402.. plus if i go with the 408 and I still have a nice little ls2 short I could sell to pay for some of the 408..

Im not sure when boost will come.. my guess around 3000

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
I would not let texas speed built me anything. Shitty customer support and shitty parts if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to port my stockers through tea but got kinda turned away from that and want to keep a thick deck since it's just a 4 bolt.. I think some trick flow 220 cast would work nicely or maybe some dart 225

·
Bad Monkey Racing
1,559 Posts
Not messing around are you :king1: HKE would be a call to make and you might want to talk with Billy as well. I am just using my built 364 with stock heads. I have no plans to go as high as you guys, keeping this TBSS my DD. I won't be chasing you or Ross. Right now is a bad time for wanting parts like this though, all these racers trying to push thier builds through machine shops for the season and they wanted them yesterday. SDPC might be an option as well. Good luck though. My little brother will be dropping mine off tomorrow at GSS for mine, he is driving through snow, ice, chickens and semi blowouts. I am glad I can keep him busy :muahaha:

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would like to stay with cast versions to keep costs somewhat in check... That's why I said trick flow 220 or dart 225.. I don't know anyone that has ran dart 225 but wonder why u would stay away from them..

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should have my tb to him hopefully this or next weekend after I "test" this new cam I have....

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,503 Posts
I would like to stay with cast versions to keep costs somewhat in check... That's why I said trick flow 220 or dart 225.. I don't know anyone that has ran dart 225 but wonder why u would stay away from them..
Darts tend to need a good amount of work out of the box. If you want to run an "as cast" head use the TFS 220.

·
Registered
826 Posts
You are forcing so much air through the heads you dont need them to be worked anyways. No real performance is going to be added to a ported head that a cast head couldnt do with turbos. Now if you were NA or running a shot that would be a different story.

I would also call Greg since I know he is probably building your 80 and talk about tc options. Also get a solid opinion from your builder. They will know your goals and help you achieve them, thats what they are getting paid for in a sense.

On that note... if you want good parts to build this shortblock yourself buy from Texas Speed, they are cheap. If you want them to build you a motor, thats a whole different animal. Billyman has numerous posts on here about how they pretty much outsource the building etc etc. In short, the motors are garbage and haphazardly put together. I would look at LEP or HKE for complete shortblocks. Just my .02 Good luck with it all man!

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't think I will get 1000hp out of stock 243... The only way I see that happening is 25psi plus and I kinda like to stick around 20ish

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would do some AFRs. Their "cast" head it immaculate and needs no work. The only reason to port a head on a FI motor is to push the last bit of performance out of the turbo. If you are wanting to run only 20psi youre wasting money.

You can get on LS1tech and read up on some of those turbo builds there and youll see the same trend Im telling you now. Use it as a guideline as far as the top end/turbo to get you in the right direction. I think your goal is very obtainable..

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS AWD
1,655 Posts
I would not let texas speed built me anything. Shitty customer support and shitty parts if you ask me.
Yup stay away from Texas Speed! I'm out a 418 that had serious issues. My builder did dick around and by the time he installed it and was broke in was over a year. So when the motor did fail catastrophically with less than 5000km on it they basically said "We don't even care what happened, get fucked."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts