Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to do some reprogramming of the HVAC door mode actuators on my 2006 Trailblazer SS and need to purchase a Tech 2, obviously a Chinese knock off as the original is too expensive for the amount of use it will get. After doing some research it appears that there are better and newer products available. I have seen products called the Mongoose and MDI which appear to be the newer and bettter products but dont know which one is best for me. I also see that I may need to buy a subscribtion to access the software and I am gonna need some guidance on that as well. I do not want to take it to the dealer and get raped plus I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS and 2009 Suburban I can use it on for any future diagnostics or repairs.

QUESTION
What do I need to buy and where do I need to get it? Tech 2? Mongoose? MDI?
Will I need to purchase a subscription?
Are there any additional cables or products I will need in order for this to work 100%?
I know that there are some risks to buying cheap knock-offs but I am willing to take the risk.

I did search the forum for this topic and did not find the answers I am looking for.

·
Registered
Saab 9-7X
620 Posts
I have all three, but I'm certainly not an expert in any of them. I've been using them on an as-needed basis. If one didn't work, I tried another. Once I accomplished what I needed to do, I put everything away.

The Mongoose is basically foolproof and just works, but requires a subscription to do most useful things.
My genuine MDI2 has been mixed. I never got some functions fully working, but when it works, it's great.
My Tech2 clone is probably the worst. It's been buggy since day 1 and I don't know if it's my setup, the Tech2 itself, or me. Theoretically, the Tech2 should allow you to do a ton of stuff without buying any subscriptions, but mine has been the least useful thing I've bought.

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts