Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
36k and the front pads/rotors are almost gone. I was told 5k miles more. So starting to research what to get.

I'm thinking of Power Slot rotors but have some questions:

1. Are the Powerslots good? G3000 + castings?
2. Cryo or non-Cryo? I'm a DD and haven't been to the track
3. Does the black e-coating really last or will it rust like R1?
4. Which pads? EBC Green Stuff, Hawk LTS, OEM? Stopping power is more of concern than low dust, no ceramics either.
5. Rear pads/rotors are still very thick. Is it worth the money to swap out the rear rotors?
6. Can I reuse the stock rear pads if I get new rotors?

·
Hater
Duh
9,218 Posts
Unless you are going for looks, just buy oem rotors. I got mine at a great price from Greg. The rotors have a gray coating already but I added a few coats or black brake paint. I know you don't want ceramic but I'm happy with the power stops from Luis.
I've read people complaining of the E-coating not holding up so they paint them anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
Wow, somebody's hard on brakes if they're used up at 36K. I changed front rotors and pads at 67K. Rotors were below spec to turn and pads were pretty well used up. Went with R1 premium slotted that I painted with high heat paint and Hawk LTS pads. Rears were fine so left them alone. Very happy with performance of these. Don't know why you'd want to mess with the rears now. Fix the fronts, flush out the brake fluid and drive it! I use Valvoline DOT 4 fluid; low moisture activity and higher boiling point than DOT 3. Fully compatible with DOT 3.

·
Hater
Duh
9,218 Posts
Yeah I did mine at 31k cause I had the slightest bit of pulsation. My pads were at least 50% or more but I hated the dust so brand new I went

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you are going for looks, just buy oem rotors. I got mine at a great price from Greg. The rotors have a gray coating already but I added a few coats or black brake paint. I know you don't want ceramic but I'm happy with the power stops from Luis.
I've read people complaining of the E-coating not holding up so they paint them anyways.

I was thinking of doing something with a little flash. I also thought of painting the calipers red the same time I changed the brakes.

Wow, somebody's hard on brakes if they're used up at 36K. I changed front rotors and pads at 67K. Rotors were below spec to turn and pads were pretty well used up. Went with R1 premium slotted that I painted with high heat paint and Hawk LTS pads. Rears were fine so left them alone. Very happy with performance of these. Don't know why you'd want to mess with the rears now. Fix the fronts, flush out the brake fluid and drive it! I use Valvoline DOT 4 fluid; low moisture activity and higher boiling point than DOT 3. Fully compatible with DOT 3.
And that's the funny thing...I'm like super easy on the brakes. Now the pads do still have a little meat left on them so maybe they'll last until 45k miles.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
I went with R1 premium slotted rotors front and rear and posi quiet ceramic pads, I'm happy with the stopping power and the way they look. I also sprayed the rotors with VHT high temp paint.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
x2 for R1 and sprayed the rotors also then did calipers red.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.