1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone..

My battery has given up the ghost.

I am wondering if a 730 Cold cranking Amp battery will fit ok (a bit bigger) in our TBSS.

I have a friend that works for GM and i can get a pretty good deal on a new AC delco.

Oddly enough, i cannot even recall right what CCC rating our OEM battery is..!??!?!:doh:

Anyone?!

THanks!!!
Frank

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
I'm running the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus at 1,000CA / 800CCA and it works great...As long as the battery you get physically fits, the ratings don't have a limit...

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
I run an Optima red top with the same exact specs.
I ran an Optima until it decided to take a shit after 6 months of use. It sat for the year while I was building the engine and doing all the brakes and suspension, I stored it properly and put it on the trickle charger every 3 months and the day I went to start the truck, the stupid Optima showed good voltage and when I cranked the truck, it went "Blah" and wouldn't do shit! I will never own another Optima, not worth it...especially for the price they charge!

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
Im with you Steven, I had a Red Top that I put in my 02 TB back in Dec 04. Ran great for 5 years through all weather, then took a dump Dec 09. Ill take 5 years from a battery, pretty good especially since I had a sub that would cause the voltage to drop pretty regularly.

But their new stuff is CRAP, I went to Costco and picked up one of their batteries. Made by Interstate I believe, think its the same thing as a Sears DieHard. Plus its Costco, if anything happens they take it back no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
I ran an Optima until it decided to take a shit after 6 months of use. It sat for the year while I was building the engine and doing all the brakes and suspension, I stored it properly and put it on the trickle charger every 3 months and the day I went to start the truck, the stupid Optima showed good voltage and when I cranked the truck, it went "Blah" and wouldn't do shit! I will never own another Optima, not worth it...especially for the price they charge!
I have no issues. Had the battery in there for 2 years and drive the truck a few times a month. When it isn't being driven it is on the battery tender.

·
Premium Member
2006 Red Jewel AWD
11,641 Posts
Im with you Steven, I had a Red Top that I put in my 02 TB back in Dec 04. Ran great for 5 years through all weather, then took a dump Dec 09. Ill take 5 years from a battery, pretty good especially since I had a sub that would cause the voltage to drop pretty regularly.

But their new stuff is CRAP, I went to Costco and picked up one of their batteries. Made by Interstate I believe, think its the same thing as a Sears DieHard. Plus its Costco, if anything happens they take it back no questions asked.
Diehard is it's own company and they make the Costco batteries, Interstate is it's own company...

I have no issues. Had the battery in there for 2 years and drive the truck a few times a month. When it isn't being driven it is on the battery tender.
Ya, it's just my experience...I had dual optimas in one of my old vehicles years ago and swore by them! I even had one break out of it's tray on my very first truck and it melted half of one of the cells on the header and that thing never stopped working until I got it down to the battery shop for replacement! Now, I would not buy an Optima if you paid me...

Matt...YOur on the Bubble with the Optima right now.....If it lasts you another year Ill be surprised. Those things are flat out junk these days....Sorry.
It might be luck of the draw or they just might be shitty now...sucks because they used to be great batteries!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
441 Posts
i owned a yellow top for over 2 years great battery.. but it was on the pricey side. the specs on the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus were actaully better then the yellow top for my civic but i bought the yellow top instead im glad its worked out for other members ill buy the mega-tron for the SS when it needs a new bat

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys..

Does someone know off-hand what the OEM battery Cold cranking Amp rating is on our TBSS?

thanks!!!
Frank

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
Matt...YOur on the Bubble with the Optima right now.....If it lasts you another year Ill be surprised. Those things are flat out junk these days....Sorry.
Oh well. I have a battery hook up so I will just get another when/if it goes.

I change cams like underwear, could care less about having to swap a battery in 3 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts