Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 TBL LT, 6cyl, 325K miles; '06 TBSS 6.0 LS2 150K miles
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a new owner. A hack in my driveway mechanic.
I have an '06 TBSS 6.0 150K miles, that I bought for $4k knowing the engine was locked, but didn't know the extent of the damage. My mechanic pulled the motor and turns out the previous owner threw a rod. Hole in the side of the block and crack near the lower edge.

Now I am having a hell of a time finding a block, short block, anything for a "reasonable" price.
I'm in the Detroit area. Called junk yards, checked FB and Craig's. Have multiple requests in online shops/junk yards.

Right now my best (only) option is a rebuild from Fraser Motors that will cost me about $7,000 with shipping and core charge.

This will eventually be my daily driver, and I am not looking to race it or mod it out. Just want a dependable ride with a little bit of soul.

VIN 1GNET13H762208918
Any, and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

UPDATE - 1-12-2022 Thanks to guidance from @Pat Goulet , who is an LS savant! He pointed me to a short block on eBay from Hawk Motor Sports. Its on a truck heading my way now.
Many thanks to all who offered guidance! Its a great community!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
231 Posts
If you just want to get it running (even “for now”) find a 5.3 from a truck/suv. Junkyards always have tons of them for cheap. It can at least get you in the road. I’ll let other chime in on what years to look for since you have a 24X crank.

Then, you can take your time putting together the right engine. For what it’s worth, I swapped an LS3 long block with a cam (brand new from GM!!!) for $6,000. But, finding one is next to impossible right now. You can build an impressive motor for $7,000 if you find the right one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That was a thought that had occurred to me. I'm pushing 70, and hoping to retire in a year or 2, so funds are pretty tight. It will cost me about $1800 labor to do an engine swap if there is not a lot of modification needed. I'd really like to put the 6.0 back in, since there are headers, intake etc that I don't know will swap over, but if I have to put a 5.3 in it, I would probably save all the good pieces of the 6.0 and pass them on to the next owner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a new owner. A hack in my driveway mechanic.
I have an '06 TBSS 6.0 150K miles, that I bought for $4k knowing the engine was locked, but didn't know the extent of the damage. My mechanic pulled the motor and turns out the previous owner threw a rod. Hole in the side of the block and crack near the lower edge.

Now I am having a hell of a time finding a block, short block, anything for a "reasonable" price.
I'm in the Detroit area. Called junk yards, checked FB and Craig's. Have multiple requests in online shops/junk yards.

Right now my best (only) option is a rebuild from Fraser Motors that will cost me about $7,000 with shipping and core charge.

This will eventually be my daily driver, and I am not looking to race it or mod it out. Just want a dependable ride with a little bit of soul.

VIN 1GNET13H762208918
Any, and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA
Here's a link to my original post with photos of what I bought.
New TBSS Owner Wannabe near Detroit - What should I offer for a TBSS with possible blown engine? | Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum (tbssowners.com)

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
231 Posts
Search around on here enough, your accessories will swap over! That’s the beauty of the LS family!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,212 Posts
I remember that post. As stated any ls motor will work with your truck (check years and reluctor wheel) you already have some bolt on performance parts that all will bolt onto the new motor. If you can do it yourself truck blocks, vans can be bought for under 1g. Do some research before you pull out your wallet.. but when you do it will be empty lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much appreciated!
I'm already obligated to a repair shop that pulled the engine and was going to rebuild it until they discovered the hole in the block. They are looking for a block, but no results so far. Now I am researching until my eyes bleed! Praying I can find an aluminum short block somewhere. Would iron work?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,212 Posts
Absolutely iron would work. Alot of my friends put 4.8 5.3 and 6.0 iron blocks ls swaps in everything from a envoy Denali to a 80 Malibu. Again all you need is the long block, all your accessories, sensors etc will fit. Just check yr cause the reluctor wheel was diff on earlier Gen blocks. You can get an iron long block from a scrap yard under 1k. That gives you more $ for cam, stall etc..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts