Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

Narrowing Rear Axle?

10K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  NORCAL SS 
#1 ·
Anyone done it here yet? I want to narrow the rear axle 2-3 inches on each side so i can run wheel with a big lip in the rear.

#4 ·
Didn't the hunk-o-crap at SEMA have the rear narrowed?

Edit: Damn beat me to it...

#7 ·
Right now i have 10s in rear with 305 tires and when the truck is resting on the frame i clear the fenderlips by maybe 3/16- 1/4 of a inch. I wanted them to just tuck. If i went out any farther the tires would get cut up by the fenderlip so when i ordered my wheels I specd my own backspacing on it.

NOw if i cut down the axle 2 inches ill just run 2 inches less backspacing so will give me 2 more inches of lip and sit in the same exact place on the outside.

#10 ·
LOL.. just checking...

#16 ·
Depending where you go, you might need to spring for the jig as well. When I was looking to shorten the 8.8 in my S10 blazer, none of the local shops had a jig (crazy, i know) and wanted me to front the bill for building/buying a jig. Sourcing a housing from Moser or Strange might be cheaper.

#19 ·
Tony already knows this, he just didn't elude to it. If the rear was narrowed, more than likely mini-tubs would also have to put in....maybe even some cut & weld on the frame, depending. He just didn't post that part.

Offset has nothing to do with making a wider wheel fit in terms of where he is at now, because not only is he really close to the outer fenderlip...he is also close to the inner fenderwell, et al as well.

I would assume he is just looking to see if anyone else has done it yet, to see what all was involved (what they did) for this particular application. I'm right there with him in this quest for knowledge...lol

#20 ·
actaully im keeping 10s in rear I just wnat to run more backspacing to get a fatter lip but nothing will move on the inside or outside at all.

Like I said if i cut each side 2 inches off the axle I can then just take out 2 more inches of backspacing and then run a 5.5 inch lip in rear.

#21 ·
Ah...

I want to narrow it to run wider wheels...lol

#26 ·
I think that going with a huge lip on the rear looks damn good but that could turn into a real project! When I was looking to do mine without changing much under the truck we measured that you can only cut the rear an 1.5" on each without have to change much on the suspension of the truck. If you 2" or more the backing plates on the rear will hit the upper control arm mount that attach to the rear! So there so work involved to do 2" or more.

#27 ·
Not on a TBSS but I have personally done it for silverado's. No one makes rings for a line up bar for use on the 14 bolt 9.5 housings. They have to be custom made. Most shops steer clear of modifying them because of it. I made all of my own addapters just to play with the 14 bolt 9.5 housings.

#28 ·
Tony did you ever do this? i want to do it also to be able to run a big deep dish rim in the rear. if i did this would i still be able to run 17" drags "your old mb wheels and 295's" in the rear? and would i be able to run the stock wheels untill i get custom wheels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.