Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought and started install of the SLP dual exhaust system. I figured I'd log my experience with it for posterity so people have decent information on it., as I couldn't find much in the way of reviews on it, despite its age.

Some basics, it comes in 2 giant boxes, one for the valence, which is plastic, and one for the exhaust itself. The exhaust piping is magnetic, but also seems to be some sort of treated steel, likely aluminized steel. It's not a high grade stainless, so if you live in a rust prone place, it's something to note. It comes in several pieces, which make installing it easier, but lining it up a little more time consuming.

First things to note, the online directions are garbage. It looks like they scanned in a paper copy poorly, and they're cut off. Probably had an intern do it. Either way, they're garbage, but the install is fairly straightforward and easy to figure out.

Next thing to note is it comes with 4 "unibolt" clamps. These are also, complete garbage. I think the intent is for them to slip over the end where the larger pipe meets the inner one, but they're too small to fit over the larger pipe, and they don't grip very well. They use these to attach the over axle pipes and due to their design, if you use them, the drivers side pipe can fall off. Save yourself the hassle and buy some 2.5" clamps to use before you start.

Soundwise, it sounds good. It's a little louder than I expected, but I broke a y pipe stud off and have a little bit of a leak, so that makes a difference. The tone is deep, and it sounds great. It quiets down at idle, but it gets rowdy when you get on it.

I can't speak to the valence much yet, as I haven't installed it yet, but it's a plastic piece that installs with 2 push pins and sticky tape. Compared to the plastic tabs the factory stuff installs with, I suspect that it will work out fine. I can't comment on the fitment yet though.

Overall, it's a good value I feel like. For the same $1000, you can get the borla setup that has you cut your factory valence, which I wasn't about. The tbm valence is 400 bucks on its own, assuming they become available again. The eBay valence are 300 bucks and fiberglass, but also install with sticky tape. I really wanted quad tips, but ended up deciding the dual singles would be fine for for 500 bucks less between valence and tips.

I do wish that the system was configurable, so you could pick quads or dual singles, but at this point, I doubt that will happen. Another downside is the muffler is single inlet, so if you wanted to switch to a true dual setup vs the y pipe merge, you're replacing the muffler. I suspect there are very limited cases where that makes sense though.

·
"******"
1,225 Posts
I Purchased my SLP system before my ordered "08 TBSS awd came into the dealer (thats how bad I wanted the dual exhaust look on my TBSS)
What the OP said about the clamp is correct, buy better clamps. The system isntall very easy, the hardest part was unbolting the flexable pipe after the "Y" pipe. and the fitment I thought was very good.
Now the valence, I did not want to drill holes in my bumper so I fabricated brackets that I glued to the inside of the bumper so I could also glue the valence to these brackets. It looks stock if you do not compare it to the factory valence. (The SLP is thicker). The polished stainless steel tips are a better quality than the single OEM one.

In short, for the price its the best looking option for the TBSS and they should have come stock with dual exhaust IMHO.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive side marker light

Reactions: BlkGS and Mitch808

·
Registered
06'TrailblazerSS, 07'Z06,71'Stingray
382 Posts
I have had my SLP on for ten years now. Dealer installed it. I have been very satisfied with it. Rear valance has never come off. Sound is awesome. No Drone. :)

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
56 Posts
Awesome review guys...I really wish I had ordered the SLP early on. Now my build is DELAYED until SLP#31675 OR Stainless Works (#TBTDCB) is available from their respective manufacturers. 😒

I purchased the quad dual valance...so hopefully the quad dual tips I have will work with it either system.

Thanks again guys for the reviews this was really helpful. 🍻 Although, at this point which ever system becomes available first is probably what I will go with.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
26 Posts
Does anybody know where you can get the rear valence with the dual cut outs I have not found anybody that sales them . I really don't want to go thru the hassle of fabricating one but I would really like the dual Exhaust look Mitch808 is correct GM dropped the ball on that part of our Beasts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts