Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been on this site for about 6-7 years and done lots modifications along the way to our 2007 AWD 3SS... but, for some reason it was never a collected in build thread, rather more like a series of technical articles.

In no particular order:
Ported throttle body:
A Little DIY Work... - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
Headlight Ram-Air:
New Spin On An Old Concept - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
Audio upgrades using a LOC:
Adding A 12" Sub To Factory Bose - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
Oversized 32" tall tires on 20x8s and 20x10s:
32" Tall Tires? Sure, Why Not. - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
Dual 3" over the axle exhaust:
Dual 3" Over the Axle Catback - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
3" cat-less Y-pipe:
DIY - 3" Catless Y-pipe - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
Front mount transmission cooler (and e-Fans):
DIY Transmission Cooler - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
Stock height suspension replacement/upgrade:
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/general-tbss-questions/152225-stock-height-replacement-suspension-options.html
Figuring out the Holley Mid-rise intake:
http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/heads-cam-intake-manifold-internals/147193-other-holley-intake.html

It also has a 4" aluminum driveshaft, IeatSRT8 intake, and some other little tweaks.

So where do we go from here?

Well there is a RPM Level 5 tranny sitting on the floor, which I plan to mate to a 278mm converter (2600-2800 stall) later this year. There is a C6 MAF, Spectre 4" MAF housing and a 9" filter waiting for me.

Big whoop, right?! That is just an incremental improvement in performance, and more of an uncorking of the stock LS2. I have been batting around the concept of turboing the truck for years, but it is just more involved than I care to get with our daily driver. To this end I have decided to supercharge it as it is a grossly easier (but, more expensive) option - and I think a TVS 2300 at 7-8lbs of boost is (conservatively) appropriate (especially on a 120K mile engine). This is why I bought the C6 MAF as a supporting.

I am still trying to decide if I am going to cam the motor or not, as I already have a plan for that too: Specing Camshaft for a Heavy Pig - Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum

Lets see how this plan develops...

·
Premium Member
7,324 Posts
i recall of a similar thread title, however the other one is a "cam only" build that turned into a frame off restoration. lol

good luck with it

·
making friends daily
9,330 Posts
:rofl: good luck with the build :coolthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Built a quickie DIY 4" intake (eventually this will be a FWI or up under one of Scott's cowl hoods (so sexy).

Winter is coming so the IATs aren't going to matter much soon (because Canada), but on the quick test run it was around 100*F under there without a cover. Interestingly enough the tune is pretty good at idle and under cruise - but, under WOT there is room for improvement. The AFRs are in the mid to low 11s (when my WB isn't cutting out due to a frayed lead) which has the stock injector duty cycle in the low-90s. :dunno:

Interestingly the calculated Cylinder Air Mass is in the mid-90s g/cyl now which is much higher than before (mid-80s g/cyl was normal). I did a copy/paste of the LS7 data so it will need to be tuned down a hair - obviously.

I ordered by laminar airflow straightener screens from SaxonPC this morning, I am sure it will help smooth things out.

Attachments

·
Old but not Dead Yet!
9,573 Posts
Sounds like a nice build. Good luck and hope it runs like you want it to.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SaxonPC screened 100mm MAF FTMFW!

The LS7 and LS3 cars don't have screens with their card-style MAFs (like the one shown) and have choppy readings (Hz) at higher speeds. Adding a large cell screen like this does little to restrict flow (sometimes improves it, improving laminar flow through the tube) and greatly improves the resolution (Hz) as air moves across the sensor.

Very excited to have this installed, it is the third installation of a SaxonPC screen I have done in our LS-cars; can't wait to start tuning it in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could get some foam to seal against the hood
The back of the box is right up against the hoodliner, and the leading edge is close too. I have some thin weatherstripping to try to make up that little gap.

I also have some 1/8" thick rubber to seal the tube pass-through if desired. Interestingly enough when I popped the hood after the long test drive the box was cool to the touch and not heat soaked, so I am assuming my "ram air" intake tubes are getting sufficient outside air (~40*F today) to the filter at speed.

I am also planning on insulating the inside of the box as I have done previously.

I think great stuff works better:boff:
:rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Nice. Your thread title threw me off. Better start taking more parts off if you want to hang with the other Just another build thread.

1 - 20 of 417 Posts
About this Discussion
416 Replies
34 Participants
motorhead
Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum
A forum for all things Trailblazer SS including mileage, horsepower, transmissions, interior mods, tires and more!
Full Forum Listing