Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone interested in my situation.. called about the infamous paint chips on my TBSS. Service writer runs my VIN "Nope dont see a TSB" so I gave him the # and he says "Alright its going to need to be inspected and approved by the district manager so we'll give you a call when he is here next." So for now I wait... the car has paint film already installed on the rockers but it was either applied over the rock chips or the rocks went thru it or something.. what i can't decide now is whether or not to remove the film that is on there so he doesn't just look at it and say "Nope. It's been done, sorry".. My VIN has been ran by a service writer and shows nothing about the TSB being done in the past. So no idea where the paint film that's on there now came from. Any ideas, similar experience??

·
Premium Member
08 Black Granite
4,004 Posts
Anyone prior to you owning could have had it installed as a precautionary measure.

The worst ones it seems are the ones that have to drive down unimproved surfaces. GL hopefully they'll be able to help in some way.

·
Registered
TBSS Black 07
245 Posts
Are you still under warranty? Curious to see if they dealer will fix it due to TSB.

sent from some hole in the desert using smoke signals

·
Registered
TBSS Black 07
245 Posts
I'm subscribed to see how this turns out please post updates. Mine has this same issue and it's black so it's an eye sore for sure. Didn't think a dealer would fix a TSB without it under factory warranty.

sent from some hole in the desert using smoke signals

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
132 Posts
Mine does the same shit. Didn't know there was a service bulletin. I'm guessing the cheatership MIGHT fix it since I got the letter about the Lo Beams a week ago. I'm under no warranty also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll keep you all updated. In the meantime trying to find running boards that aren't horrible in the off chance they fix it. That plus GM molded mudflaps

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
664 Posts
I think they only pay is if a recall on primer or paint, if it was under warranty then any tsb should be covered but no one has a factory warranty left & I don't know if extended warranty pays tsb because the extended is third party , but I hope they fix it for you & i would leave it like it is because you'll have a job trying to remove it & also if he says it already has rocker guard applied say exactly & it's still chipping so the paint isn't good then maybe he'll repair & paint with new guard applied. Good luck keep us updated when he contact's you

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
201 Posts
I have the GM mudflaps on mine but no running boards. They have done their job since 06. The body shop mgr suggested the mudflaps over the TSB but was willing to do the TSB for me. Think I made a good choice with the mudflaps vs the TSB. The body shop mgr stated that the TSP wasn't the do all end all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm planning to do both. Heard of people having issues even running mudflaps, I'll more than likely lower the truck as well
Heard that can help considerably

·
Premium Member
2008 TB SS AWD 3SS
3,288 Posts
Just remember the factory rear molded mudflaps dont fit the SS until you mod them a bit by cutting off a piece that fits on the outside of the bumper. GM never released a SS-specific set and our bumpers are slightly different than the regular TB. Look one up and you'll see what I mean, easy to do just something to be aware of. I went with Husky flat mudflaps so I didnt have to worry about the paint rubbing with the molded ones.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to the service manager and the district service rep and they basically said the TSB only covers the rockers so they will paint those, but because there's so much damage on the rear doors still its not going to make that much of a difference. So they told me to go get an appraisal from a body shop to get everything done right and they'll see what they can contribute money-wise.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
664 Posts
Well least they are willing to paint the rockers or contribute to pay another shop to paint everything. Let me know how you come out. Good Luck

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 TBSS AWD
137 Posts
I have an early 06 that never had this TSB done. I think I will try to do the same and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
953 Posts
Talked to the service manager and the district service rep and they basically said the TSB only covers the rockers so they will paint those, but because there's so much damage on the rear doors still its not going to make that much of a difference. So they told me to go get an appraisal from a body shop to get everything done right and they'll see what they can contribute money-wise.
Although it is awesome they are offering to contribute towards the repair from an estimate from another body shop, they are mistaken on the TSB only covering the rocker panels.

I had this same TSB done on my '06 years ago and my local Chevy dealer removed all 4 doors and rocker panels and re-painted it all and applied the 3M clear bra on all of it.

Nonetheless mine looks like yours now, but that'll happen when you got 170K miles (just last week).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Although it is awesome they are offering to contribute towards the repair from an estimate from another body shop, they are mistaken on the TSB only covering the rocker panels.

I had this same TSB done on my '06 years ago and my local Chevy dealer removed all 4 doors and rocker panels and re-painted it all and applied the 3M clear bra on all of it.

Nonetheless mine looks like yours now, but that'll happen when you got 170K miles (just last week).
Did you get mudflaps/lower the truck/add running boards?

I agree with you that they are wrong and thats the same thing Ive heard in the past but I wasn't going to argue considering anything they chip in is in their good will at this point since I don't have warranty and its not something they're required to fix.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Estimate came out to around 900 to remove old 3m, polish the doors, remove and repaint the rockers and then add new 3m.. i told the service manager Id help pay for the 3m and polishing, so hes going to get back to me and let me know how much theyll cover, if anything. The body shop estimator said removing the 3m should clear up 90% of the imperfection there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts