Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 TrailblazerSS
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This all started about a month ago. I unhooked the amp, removed the subs, cut the wires to a digital thermostat installed where the SS Dash plug is and installed a head unit. However, I have capped all wires that are still exposed from the amp, including the power and remote wires ( So I dont think they are the cause).

When I cut the ground to the thermostat I used that ground that was pre wired already then to hook up to my head unit so I wouldnt have to make another ground anywhere.

If I don't drive the car everyday the battery will go completely dead as in will lock key in the ignition and wont even turn interior lights on or unlock the doors. Just dead as a hammer. But if I drive it at least about every 20 hours or so it fires right up every time. Does this sound like an alternator ( because when I come to a stop or begin to slow the batter reading falls about halfway between 9 and 14 especially when e-fans kick on.

Could it be a ground wire pulling power and eventually causing it to die?

Is there possibly a bad cell in the battery that causes it to die?

I also have a bad ground on my HIDS somewhere and they sometimes dont wan to work until i turn them on and off a few times. Could that bad ground be pulling power?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, its getting old walking out the door ready to leave only to have to pull up another car to jump mine off.

·
stupid white guy
TrailblazerSS
4,887 Posts
Go to parts store and have the charging system checked. Capped wires are NOT pulling power.

·
Premium Member
2006 TrailblazerSS
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you dont believe it could be any of the wiring from the digital thermo or the headunit.?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
866 Posts
I'm with Buddy, I'd go to a local auto zone or advanced auto and have them check the battery and alternator

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
169 Posts
make sure your air compressor isn't coming on. Mine used to come on with no keys in the ignition and the truck locked and would drain my battery. I think there might even be a tsb on that issue. My battery would be dead the next morning if i didn't start my truck every once and a while.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
843 Posts
I think your altenator is ok it is charging your batterry when you drive it. Sounds like you have a draw on the battery. If you have a test light disconnect the ground cable at the battery and put the test light in line, if the bulb lights you have a draw pull fuses until light goes out to isolate circuit with draw. An amp meter is more accurate but a test light can work.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
362 Posts
be careful with what autozone or the like may tell you...our trucks has a strange charging system that works different than most..... some will say that your regulator is allowing overcharging and thats whats doing it... they will hook it up and it will read something like 15 volts.... it does some strange voltage dumping...if the battery doent need power and depending on whats running . it confuses most old school mechanics.... ill find you the page i had

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
362 Posts
couldnt find it... i printed it out to show the battery store guy....

its a regulated voltage control system thats supposed to only put a draw to the alt when needed in a effort to save some mpgs.....

lots of stories of them going bad. i bet your battery has a dead cell in it now like mine did when i had this issue.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
252 Posts
dont forget

That POS ignition switch could be it mine was doing the same thing before it fully went out on me...

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I pulled the OnStar fuse int the rear seat fuse box and the problem went away. Went to dealer, explained problem, left if for two days so they could measure drain, then they replaced the OnStar brain.

·
Premium Member
2006 TrailblazerSS
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damnit now theres more to check lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts