Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
Looks great as always Dylan.

How come I find that my VRT gets blotchy on a lot of vinyl I put it on? Happens all the time on the mirrors of the SS and I detailed my neighbors Ram 2500, and I used it on the tonneau cover, and it looked terrible! It beaded up nice in the rain, but Only sports were shinny. And I was the last one to detail it and the last time I did it I didn't use anything on the cover. Any idea's?

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you cleaning the surfaces with APC or a similar degreaser first?

Have the surfaces previously been treated with a silicone based dressing?

Are you applying in direct sunlight or on a hot surface?

How are you applying? Heavy coats and removing excess or trying to spread a small amount over a large area?

Have you tried wiping the areas down with a dry microfiber towel afterwards?

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
Are you cleaning the surfaces with APC or a similar degreaser first?

Have the surfaces previously been treated with a silicone based dressing?

Are you applying in direct sunlight or on a hot surface?

How are you applying? Heavy coats and removing excess or trying to spread a small amount over a large area?

Have you tried wiping the areas down with a dry microfiber towel afterwards?

I haven't used a silicone based dressing since Adam's started making the newer VRT stuff on my SS but the mirrors still seems to want to be blotchy. They bead up beautifully all over once it rains or I wash it though. My first gen blazer, the front valance around the fog lights gets really blotchy too. After applying VRT you could still even see where the bug splatter was. As for my neighbors ram, it hadn't been detailed since last year, and I'm pretty sure I didn't use anything on it because I was always told the silicone stuff is bad for tonneau covers, making them crack in the sunlight.

Not applying in direct sunlight, in fact while doing the ram, it looked like it wanted to start raining.

I have to use large amounts to get it to spread evenly other wise I might as well not even be doing anything. Seems like it takes a lot of product to go a little way. Also using Adams red applicator pad to apply.

And the VRT was soaking in to the tonneau before I was even done applying to that section. You could see how I split it up into 4 sections when i used it. Even if I went over it a second time, it didn't really seem to change the outcome.

Here's kind of what I'm talking about. This is how the tonneau cover looked after I was done, And I didn't say this earlier, but I did scrub the whole thing with a cleaner before apply.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That resembles exactly what I've seen happen when its applied over a surface that hasn't been 'degreased' using APC or a similar cleaner. I could almost recreate the EXACT look on my wifes equinox rear plastic after the dealer slathered some black magic or armourall trim dressing on it after the last time it was in for service.

Try cleaning more thoroughly before applying, if you can see "where the bug splatter was" then the surface isn't clean.

Its not a normal issue you're experiencing (as you can see by my pics it finishes even on a properly cleaned surface) so something else has to be going on.

If it acted like that for everyone we'd have thousands of complaints - its our #2 best selling product right behind Detail Spray and rarely do we get any complaints about it.

Also, you know that if you're ever displeased with the way a product performs you can simply call the toll free number and take advantage of the 110% satisfaction guarantee.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
212 Posts
Damn Dylan, your work is AMAZING, your attention to detail is 2nd to none, awesome, i will be hitting you up soon for a detail on my SS.

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
That resembles exactly what I've seen happen when its applied over a surface that hasn't been 'degreased' using APC or a similar cleaner. I could almost recreate the EXACT look on my wifes equinox rear plastic after the dealer slathered some black magic or armourall trim dressing on it after the last time it was in for service.

Try cleaning more thoroughly before applying, if you can see "where the bug splatter was" then the surface isn't clean.

Its not a normal issue you're experiencing (as you can see by my pics it finishes even on a properly cleaned surface) so something else has to be going on.

If it acted like that for everyone we'd have thousands of complaints - its our #2 best selling product right behind Detail Spray and rarely do we get any complaints about it.

Also, you know that if you're ever displeased with the way a product performs you can simply call the toll free number and take advantage of the 110% satisfaction guarantee.

Oh I'm not complaining Dylan! I love this stuff other than the few times it has done this for me, and I would've put money on it that it was me! Sorry if that came off as a "complaint" lol, I was more or less saying "Hey Dylan, WTF am I doing wrong!" :doh:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,141 Posts
Just read the whole write up, very nice work man! Its like a brand new truck, or most likely better than new!

·
Skinny Pedal Abuser
06 TBSS
224 Posts
You are certainly winning me over to give your products a try. Thats excellent work.

·
Resident NIP
06 SS Trailblazer
4,326 Posts
How much do you normally charge for a job like that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts