Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine had an unknown oil leak that happened and the oil level dropped really fast with no engine warning light. Metal shavings all over in the oil/pan and I am replacing the motor. Local dealership has a new LS2 motor from GM on order and said they only need the intake manifold from the old motor(what they told me). A friend of a friend is interested in buying the old motor from me for a stroker project, dealership said its a $200 core charge for me to keep it. Would it be worth more than that to sell it to him? Have never had this kind of issue before so I am clueless as to what the old wrecked motor would be worth.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
08 trailblazer SS
3,614 Posts
If the dealership told you its a 200 dollar core charge, buy it. I work for a GM dealership, core charge for our motor is 1200.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,864 Posts
I think they a blowing smoke up your butt. Jump on it for $200. Just a 5.3l core I think is $600.

·
Midgets with hammers
'06 TBSS AWD
15,999 Posts
If it has a hole in the block it'll be good for a table project, and that's about it.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info guys. Much appreciated. I am heading in tonight to drop my SS off and go over all the final details before they take out the old motor. Wasnt planning on dropping 5k this week on a motor and $3k on an install!!!! Hopefully can make a few bucks back with selling the old motor.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
twmSS - Since you work at a GM Dealership do you think that $7800 is a decent price for the new motor installed? It was pretty much the best I could find around here. I would have loved to have a motor built up with a bigger cam, etc etc but it is my daily driver and I cant wait weeks on end for that to happen. Plus it has 3yr 100k warranty.

·
Premium Member
08 trailblazer SS
3,614 Posts
Cost on the motor is 4500. Awd warranty time is around 18? Hours(can't look up at the moment not at work). Most dealerships double warranty time for cash jobs so I can see it getting expensive. My dealership priced mine out a month ago, for some reason I recall it being around 8k.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
111 Posts
twmSS - Since you work at a GM Dealership do you think that $7800 is a decent price for the new motor installed? It was pretty much the best I could find around here. I would have loved to have a motor built up with a bigger cam, etc etc but it is my daily driver and I cant wait weeks on end for that to happen. Plus it has 3yr 100k warranty.
damn i never realized how much an engine in these cost. I blew up my tranny last week and i have a ESP warranty, for a full rebuild with 12/12 warranty plus the continued ESP warranty im paying 100$ out of pocket deductable. I reccomed a ESP, engine would have cost you 100$. I never thought I would use it but it came in handy this week. I wish you the best and hope it works out.

·
Registered
07 trailblazer ss
156 Posts
200 for the core isn't bad depending on the damages lol. A Cote 5.3 at the dealership next to mine is like 300, and a buddy I work with picked up a barely used aluminum 6.2 with new heads for 600 bucks. I might try to steal that from him for a future motor for the SS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
08 trailblazer SS
3,614 Posts
Warranty book time on replacing a motor awd set up is 17.5 hours. I believe the core charge on our motors is high due to GM not making them anymore. 6.2 liter motor core cost 600, Guy I work with just bought one from my shop from a escalade that lost oil pressure. So labor alone would be 4200 for the job plus cost of motor. My shop hour rate is 120.00 but a Chevy shop should be cheaper(I work for Cadillac).

·
Registered
tbss
485 Posts
I work for gm also amd everything tom is spot on. I just had my engine swapped in November it was close to 9k with tax amd everything. For awhile there werent any ls2 blocks ready to ship out. I had to wait 2 weeks for scoogin dickey to have the short block ready to go.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, after the $8k quote I about shit my pants. It was the lesser price of all the other places around though at least. I asked about buying the old motor back and the service manager said I didnt want to know how much. $2k, WTF! Anyways, thanks again for all the info guys.

·
Registered
tbss
485 Posts
Thanks for the info, after the $8k quote I about shit my pants. It was the lesser price of all the other places around though at least. I asked about buying the old motor back and the service manager said I didnt want to know how much. $2k, WTF! Anyways, thanks again for all the info guys.
There asking that much because There trying to make a profit 60% plus mark up

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I kind of figured that. Where in MN are you located Mike?

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
I asked about buying the old motor back and the service manager said I didnt want to know how much. $2k, WTF!
Wrong way to ask. You do not 'buy the old motor back', it's already yours and they have to give it to you.

The only 'extra' is the core charge on a replacement rebuilt motor, if there is one (BTW: There is no core charge for a 'new' motor.)

·
Registered
Saab Aero
392 Posts
3k to swap an engine for an identical engine?
In your garage with engine hoist and good tools thats maybe a 1-2 day job working by yourself.
It wont take dealer repair shop longer than 6-7 hours to do it unless they are just wasting time..
Even if they fart around and take a whole ten hour day thats $300 an hour for labor..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts