Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering going with one of these...pic attached. Obviously, I want to get the most bang for my buck here.

Is anyone currently running the PCMOFNC Hi-Capacity Heat Exchanger? If so, what has been your experience running it? Looks like you will need to get rid of the huge factory washer tank and go with the bottle setup. I"m definitely ok with that! I have CAI box that sits in that area. Does this complicates things in terms of the install? Lastly, what kind of IAT's and/or Maggie head unit temps are you seeing with this mod?

I'm running a Maggie 2300 with Efans, FSR, AC Condenser, Maggie HX, 40K Tru-Cooler in-line...just a lil bit crowded up front 馃
But really looking to keep Maggie head unit temps down come 90+ degree NC summer days...especially while running AC as I so like to do.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big is your HX now? More fluid capacity isnt going to help in the long run as much as a larger HX

For all things LS and supercharged , you want to talk to Lance Draeger at R&D Performance fab R&D Performance Fabrication or Roshan a boost district. They are well versed in all things supercharger.
I am using the out of the box HX that came with the Maggie 2300. Thanks for the referrals, I will reachout first thing next week. What concerns me about getting a larger HX is how crowded it is up front already.
Efans-->FSR-->AC Condenser-->Maggie HX-->40K Tru-Cooler in-line, 40K Tru-Cooler at the very front. Given this setup I am getting the heat wafting affect as my Radiator temps rise much faster now and top out at 203 degrees (160 Tstat installed). This with no AC running, daily driving with ambient temps somewhere around 45-55 degrees nowadays here in NC. So now looking to bring down Maggie head unit temps in hopes that will do the trick. Thanks again for the referrals. 馃憤馃挴

Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might be time to relocate that 40k down low? Leveraging the lower grill opening for air flow for that
There was no good place to mount it lower. Trust me. We searched high and low on this site for examples to mount it lower. But my particular setup just wouldn't work with any of the ways posted without serious modifications. I'm happy with where it's currently mounted and it's overall performance. To date, I have not seen trans temps above 157 degrees even while beating on it pretty good. I would highly recommend 40k trucooler to anyone who is running the same or similar setup as I am and experiencing high trans temps...definitely a night and day difference from the performance of the PCMOFNC Bake Duct Cooler.

I AM NOT discouraging the purchase OR use of PCMOFNC BDC at all but rather highlighting the difference in performance based upon my particular mods. Hope this helps 馃檪

Btw, I have a very gently used PCMOFNC Brake Duct Cooler for sale...less than 100 miles on it. Please PM or message me if interested.

Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
Pete3834, I'm thinking the Trucool mounted in front of your Maggie HX is adding extra heat to your HX. I'm running a Maggie 2300 front nose drive and didn't run the Maggie HX. Instead I installed a Frozen Boost air to water heat exchanger 20x7x2 (Air to Water Radiator) and mounted it down in the lower grille between the fog lights. With the small Maggie reservoir, my temps are only 10* above ambient normally. Under boost temps rise but quickly recover back to normal. My Trucool 40k is mounted in front of the AC condenser as well.

Reactions: pete3834

Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete3834, I'm thinking the Trucool mounted in front of your Maggie HX is adding extra heat to your HX. I'm running a Maggie 2300 front nose drive and didn't run the Maggie HX. Instead I installed a Frozen Boost air to water heat exchanger 20x7x2 (Air to Water Radiator) and mounted it down in the lower grille between the fog lights. With the small Maggie reservoir, my temps are only 10* above ambient normally. Under boost temps rise but quickly recover back to normal. My Trucool 40k is mounted in front of the AC condenser as well.
@scott750
If you would be so kind..please post pics of how you mounted your Frozen Boost HX down in the lower grille. Without having a visual, I do have a question. Do you have any trouble with road debris or rocks hitting the cooler being it exposed to the road on the bottom?

Thank Pete 馃憤

Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
@scott750
If you would be so kind..please post pics of how you mounted your Frozen Boost HX down in the lower grille. Without having a visual, I do have a question. Do you have any trouble with road debris or rocks hitting the cooler being it exposed to the road on the bottom?

Thank Pete 馃憤
Sorry for the late reply. No issues with road debris as the lower valance grille seems to be offering enough protection, none of the tiny fins have laid over yet either. The HX is basically mounted off the center bumper support and hanging down to the lower valance. My builder never got pics of what it looks like when the bumper was off. But I'll snap some pics this weekend when the weather warms up a little of what I can see..

Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply. No issues with road debris as the lower valance grille seems to be offering enough protection, none of the tiny fins have laid over yet either. The HX is basically mounted off the center bumper support and hanging down to the lower valance. My builder never got pics of what it looks like when the bumper was off. But I'll snap some pics this weekend when the weather warms up a little of what I can see..
Hey @scott75 when you get those pics of the HX, see if you can get shots of the mounting points.

Thanks 馃憤

Registered
High IAT's are always a battle with PD super chargers. It's the one thing I did not like about my ZR1, faster I made it, more I battled heat. Almost impossible to do three hard runs in a row. Either turbo or Centi for me living in the South.

Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@scott750
Quick question? How does the frozenboost.com HX you are running that is mounted off the center bumper support and hanging down to the lower valance get air flow? Like in standing traffic or waiting a few cycles for a traffic light? I'm assuming there is no fan mounted pulling air through it given no mention of it. 馃

Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
@scott750
Quick question? How does the frozenboost.com HX you are running that is mounted off the center bumper support and hanging down to the lower valance get air flow? Like in standing traffic or waiting a few cycles for a traffic light? I'm assuming there is no fan mounted pulling air through it given no mention of it. 馃
Sorry did not see this earlier. No fan mounted. Intake temps with the frozen boost HX are pretty good, only 5*-10* above ambient air temps normally. Under boost temps do climb 20-30* but as long as the truck is moving they will cool back down fairly quickly. Standing in traffic, temps will climb slightly but again as soon as I'm moving they drop back down. I monitor temps using the Torque app on Android.

Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
Hey @scott75 when you get those pics of the HX, see if you can get shots of the mounting points.

Thanks 馃憤
Sorry Pete, I can't seem to get a good pic of the HX behind valance to see how its mounted without removing the bumper. To me it looks like kits screwed into the bumper support from behind and hangs down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts