Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but majority of replies in other threads and forums say there are better cams use this or that and only found few scattered replies from people who actually know. Mostly a stock engine just long tubes, cam, dod delete, LS7 lifters, LS6 valve springs, trunion kit, 4 corner steam vents, modular intake tube and probably injectors. I'm doing a budget engine build so I don't want to spend much on a cam which is why I was looking at the LS9 cam it's 140 dollars new. Anyone who has used that cam in a LS2 what did you like or dislike? Power? Fuel mileage? Anyone got dyno results? Has anyone tried advancing cam timing to bring power lower into rpm range? If advance cam timing is there enough piston valve clearance?

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,874 Posts
If you are to do the work / cash of a cam swap, I'd recommend going with a custom grind cam from a reputable shop.

LS9 cam is from a light weight sports car. We have heavy ass SUVs.

Hit up Matt (LT1Z) and let him spec out a cam for your mods on this platform.

My $.02

Reactions: db-guru

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are to do the work / cash of a cam swap, I'd recommend going with a custom grind cam from a reputable shop.

LS9 cam is from a light weight sports car. We have heavy ass SUVs.

Hit up Matt (LT1Z) and let him spec out a cam for your mods on this platform.

My $.02
A custom ground cam would definitely work better but not a budget option. And the ls9 cam is a popular swap in 6.2 trucks on them there is little to no loss in lower rpm and huge gains in upper end. So size of vehicle shouldn't matter. With a proper tune I'm sure it would work. also they are made with a degree retard timing built in and if I advance cam timing it will bring power lower into the rpm range.

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,874 Posts
Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

IMHO cam option is not where I would choose to save coin in a build.

Good luck on whatever route you choose!

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,587 Posts
I agree with theheder. Also, the LS9 cam is for a supercharged engine. You will gain some power, but not as much as you think. Do a search and read the corvette forums also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you already have your mind made up.

IMHO cam option is not where I would choose to save coin in a build.

Good luck on whatever route you choose!
Not made up fully but definitely leaning a certain direction. I want a engine that idles like stock doesn't need a huge stall converter but still has a lot of torque especially down low where I use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with theheder. Also, the LS9 cam is for a supercharged engine. You will gain some power, but not as much as you think. Do a search and read the corvette forums also.
I have searched numerous forums 90% of the threads about that cam is people saying it's for a light supercharged car will kill all low rpm power use this cam that cam or custom ground cam... But there's also the 10% of replies from people who have used it. From them on 5.3s lose alot of low end power, 6.2 love it low mid and idle are like stock and above 4500 has big gains. Found couple 6.0s but not much of an answer on how it did on them or what other mods it had or dyno results. It's hard to filter through the 90% of naysayers to find the 10% with usable info. From the fact based info I have found definitely would not recommend on a 5.3 especially na. But would recommend on 6.2 especially FI. Haven't had that luck finding info on the 6.0 especially ls2 decide if would actually be good idea or not. And found few people hinting at wanting to try advancing timing with the ls9 cam but nothing factual

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did find couple of ls2 vettes and a gto that did the cam in preparation for future supercharger install. From what little of them I found they seemed to like it and said felt stock in low-mid. But no dyno results mpgs or much

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
231 Posts
I have a Ls9 cam in my ls2 in my 4 door jeep wrangler
It had great drivability
Makes good power
Has nice to end pull
No converter required

Shifts around 6700rpms

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Ls9 cam in my ls2 in my 4 door jeep wrangler
It had great drivability
Makes good power
Has nice to end pull
No converter required

Shifts around 6700rpms
Awesome thank you
what kind of mpg did it get?
Truck or car intake?
Manifolds or headers?
Stock injectors?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
231 Posts
Awesome thank you
what kind of mpg did it get?
Truck or car intake?
Manifolds or headers?
Stock injectors?
Mpg for my application wont be similar to that of a tbss. Mine was in a 4 dr jeep
Manifolds
I used stock 42lb injectors from a FF 6.2 truck
Car intake

·
Registered
Trailblazer SS
17 Posts
I tried searching but majority of replies in other threads and forums say there are better cams use this or that and only found few scattered replies from people who actually know. Mostly a stock engine just long tubes, cam, dod delete, LS7 lifters, LS6 valve springs, trunion kit, 4 corner steam vents, modular intake tube and probably injectors. I'm doing a budget engine build so I don't want to spend much on a cam which is why I was looking at the LS9 cam it's 140 dollars new. Anyone who has used that cam in a LS2 what did you like or dislike? Power? Fuel mileage? Anyone got dyno results? Has anyone tried advancing cam timing to bring power lower into rpm range? If advance cam timing is there enough piston valve clearance?
I have the LS9 cam in my TBSS and love it. Yeah, you can spend more on an after market cam. But the specs and price can't be beat. Although, my truck is procharged, it was still great when I was NA. If you sticking to your budget, I would say get it you won't be disappointed at all...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have an LS9 Cam in the Saab with the 5.3. It’s better than nothing but honestly it’s a shit show until about 5000 rpm then it comes on. I know you have a 6 liter but I promise you will lose major low end grunt that you want to move this heavy truck around. Changing to this cam required revving the engine a lot higher and a decent bit of transmission calibration.

Also, it gets shit gas mileage now like 11mpg. Probably because it needs to be driven like you hate it to make it move.

if I were you I would pass on the trunions and buy a better cam. Remember you will need a new cam sprocket for the 3 bolt ls9 cam as well.

There are plenty of good cams that would make as much or more peak power and way more power under the curve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the LS9 cam in my TBSS and love it. Yeah, you can spend more on an after market cam. But the specs and price can't be beat. Although, my truck is procharged, it was still great when I was NA. If you sticking to your budget, I would say get it you won't be disappointed at all...
I have an LS9 Cam in the Saab with the 5.3. It’s better than nothing but honestly it’s a shit show until about 5000 rpm then it comes on. I know you have a 6 liter but I promise you will lose major low end grunt that you want to move this heavy truck around. Changing to this cam required revving the engine a lot higher and a decent bit of transmission calibration.

Also, it gets shit gas mileage now like 11mpg. Probably because it needs to be driven like you hate it to make it move.

if I were you I would pass on the trunions and buy a better cam. Remember you will need a new cam sprocket for the 3 bolt ls9 cam as well.

There are plenty of good cams that would make as much or more peak power and way more power under the curve.
thanks seems 6.0 and 6.2 people love it 5.3s don't. Found a video from holdener in youtube were he advanced cam timing with a ls9 cam in a 4.8 4 degrees advance helped. more than that didn't help. Comp has a 3 bolt double chain set that's adjustable up to 8 degrees it's 120 bucks only 20 more than a stock timing set at autozone and I will be replacing timing set no matter what cam. so the added 20 bucks giving me 3 bolt, double chain and timing adjustment is worth it

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
19 Posts
There is an old saying Don't step over a dollar to pickup a Nickel. As theheder said saving coin on a cam has a point of diminishing return, if you install it and it does not give the results you want you spend $300 plus time and other parts that will eat up the $160.00 your saving, so I would talk to some one like Brian Tooley racing that has done Dyno research to help you achieve your Goals There are a lot of factors that need to be considered with cam choice, Yes our pigs are tanks weight wise but Gear ratio, engine mods Headers, Intake system ,Fuel system all come into play. as far as Idle the nice thing about our Pigs is you have a lot of adjustablity with a electronic controlled engines
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
231 Posts
There is an old saying Don't step over a dollar to pickup a Nickel. As theheder said saving coin on a cam has a point of diminishing return, if you install it and it does not give the results you want you spend $300 plus time and other parts that will eat up the $160.00 your saving, so I would talk to some one like Brian Tooley racing that has done Dyno research to help you achieve your Goals There are a lot of factors that need to be considered with cam choice, Yes our pigs are tanks weight wise but Gear ratio, engine mods Headers, Intake system ,Fuel system all come into play. as far as Idle the nice thing about our Pigs is you have a lot of adjustablity with a electronic controlled engines
Just my 2 cents
BTR is a puppet, he doesnt actually dyno or spec his own cams.

Hes the Amazon of Ls world.

That said the Ls9 cam has its place and it can be had alot cheaper than what is mentioned.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer 3SS
72 Posts
thanks seems 6.0 and 6.2 people love it 5.3s don't. Found a video from holdener in youtube were he advanced cam timing with a ls9 cam in a 4.8 4 degrees advance helped. more than that didn't help. Comp has a 3 bolt double chain set that's adjustable up to 8 degrees it's 120 bucks only 20 more than a stock timing set at autozone and I will be replacing timing set no matter what cam. so the added 20 bucks giving me 3 bolt, double chain and timing adjustment is worth it
You make the point perfectly and someplace I have a "cam spec comparison sheet", if he put a GMPP 2600 to 2800 stall in his 5.3 he wouldn't feel that way, Althouugh I've seen more choose the LS7 and LM7 for the 6.0 application. I can't remember the LSA's, but the higher ones performed better and more stealth.
I can show him the testing done WITH a 5.3 that totally debunks his claim so it's more than just the cam.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts