Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok this is my first V-8 (mostly had 4cyl turbos before) and I do not know much about the LS series of engines and now that I own one I would like to find out more.

Any General mechanical issues with the engine/ tranny in the TBSS?

I know the LS1 was a 5.7 liter and the LS2 is a 6.0 but whats the difference between the LS2 and the LS7 and are any parts transferable to the LS2 to increase performance? Are they cost effective or is aftermarket stuff better?

Best mods to start with? I was thinking a CAI, headers, exhaust, and then a nice tune.

Do you just have plug and play chips for these or can you get something like hondata to tune them with? - could you also name a few please.

Best way to launch a rwd SS?? I figured out how to take the TCS and stabilatrak off but I was wondering if that really does shut down the system enough or if it might be better to pull a fuse somewhere.

Thats really all I can think of at the moment and I apologize if any of these sound stupid but I would appreciate all the help I can get to understand my new ride.

Also anyone know any good shops in the 757 Virginia area?

·
Yes... I know I'm short
'07 TBSS 2WD
7,017 Posts
Best starting mods are CAI and tune... headers and exhaust give very minimal gain unless you end up going with forced induction like turbo or supercharger. Theres not really anything you would want off of an LS1 to replace a stock part on an LS2. There are no "plug and play" chips, but you can buy handheld tuners. The best tune is a dyno tune from a tuner local to you because it is done specifically to your truck and mods, they usually use HPTuners or EFI Live. Best way to launch is TC and Stabilitrak off, powerbrake to 1100 rpm and then let it fly. Enjoy it, it's a lot of fun. If you end up modding it pretty significantly, trans upgrades are a good idea as reliability can be questionable the further you get away from stock HP and TQ.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info it is really appreciated.

So would you all recommend a more aggressive Cam or is the power gain not worth it?

·
Premium Member
2006 TBSS 3SS
17,596 Posts
The best tune is a dyno tune from a tuner local to you because it is done specifically to your truck and mods, they usually use HPTuners or EFI Live.
Assuming its a good tuner. I really think its about 50/50 and you have about an equal chance of getting the same quality from a mail order.

But I agree, nothing like a dyno tune IF the tuner knows anything about tuning a 5000# 450hp vehicle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for more info guys, Im beginning to look for a shop in the local area now.

Still wondering about anyones cam experiences

·
Yes... I know I'm short
'07 TBSS 2WD
7,017 Posts
I know two people with cams... they have both been mild. One was with just porting the factory heads, and one was with no head work. They sound great! I think they showed pretty good gains, but to get high gains you'll have to spend a lot on an aggressive H/C combo. Not to mention with that power you'll need tranny upgrades as well.

·
Premium Member
06 Trailblazer SS
1,411 Posts

·
The Worlds my Playground
4,823 Posts
Thanks for the info it is really appreciated.

So would you all recommend a more aggressive Cam or is the power gain not worth it?
I would think that with a "more aggressive" cam, it would be choked at the heads. 243's can only flow up to certain point and about a .570 lift on stock springs. However, with a good P&P with dual springs on 243's, the cam options would be endless...:2cents:

PS - Stock cam is 204/211 duration, .520/.520 lift, and 116 LSA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts