Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got the news yesterday that AT&T whom I've worked for for over ten years is about to lay off 1300 people. Seeing as how I'm 372 from the bottom of the list in my division (cable splicing, construction) my fate is all but sealed. The shock and fear hasn't quite hit me yet that the job I love (and company I now detest) and want to retire from is letting people go that have 20 years or fewer. Roughly 30% of the local work force mainly in Illinois will be unemployed, looking for work and the way the company will word the release could possibly make us unable to receive unemployment benefits. Our so called union IBEW local 21 had allowed AT&T to harass and bully us around thru their blatant negligence and misrepresentation and not securing jobs for our senior members. There is a very likely chance that someone with 3 years will be allowed to keep their jobs in their separate division while people with 10 to 20 years will lose their jobs IN A UNION RUN INDUSTRY. In a REAL union company the rule is the last one in the door is the first one out. Basic seniority right? WRONG!!! Our so called union that had become a patsy for AT&T is allowing them to lay us off by area and job title, basically screwing over thousand of members and allowing people much lower in seniority to retain their jobs and will most likely allow the company to backfill the positions of those laid off once we're gone. We're most likely going to get the National Labor Board involved in this due to the gross negligence, conflict of interests and misrepresentation by our unions head people and I'm planning on going after IBEW 21 in a potential class action law suit for those same reasons as well as a list of other things that I can't post here.

As I said earlier it hasn't fully hit me yet and it seems a little surreal but I'm going to have to start looking for work and I know I won't be getting paid anything near what I make now so if anyone knows of someone that's looking for a hard working 37 year old in the NW Chicago suburbs that can do construction, has a class A CDL (auto and straight trucks only), operate small to medium equipment, used to be a body shop estimator and parts manager 10 years ago and worked a parts department at a dealership please let me know.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
Sorry to hear.......Unions are nothing compared to what they were years ago!!!

·
Resident NIP
06 SS Trailblazer
4,326 Posts
Sorry to hear, think Verizon may have some jobs?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
763 Posts
i know you live up north but this company may have something available. western utilites out of university park.

·
Premium Member
06 AWD SS
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have straight truck with auto trans experience. I drove split shift trucks too long ago and not long enough to make it viable to hire me over someone else, granted I used to tow trailers with bulldozers on them but that was on an auto transmission. PM me if you think I'd have a chance Tim.

Terry, University Park would take me about 2 hours to get to and in the SS I'd be spending way too much in gas. Hopefully I can keep my truck and sell some of my shit to pay off bills and possibly scrounge enough to get an engagement ring for my girlfriend. FML

·
Banned
TBSS
11,699 Posts
Mike, It would be for local driving. Mostly straight trucks and small tractor trailers. The trucks that are standard are only 6speeds. The larger over the road trucks are the ones with the splits.

It's a moving company, so you would drive and then move shit. Just to let you know it wouldn't be just bumping docks.

I know you worked for At&t making the bucks, so it's a drop in the bucket, but they start drives at 19-20 p/hr

·
Premium Member
07 2wd TBSS
9,172 Posts
Damn At&t laying off people? I thought they were doing good? Either I hope you find something thing better :cheers1:

·
Registered
08 Trailblazer SS
20 Posts
I was in the big AT&T layoff of 2002. We got the papers 2 days before Christmas. I still see alot of the old timers working there and they say the layoff was the best thing to happen to us....
Good luck!!

·
LS2 Soccer Mom's Truck
Scion xb...sob sob
700 Posts
I work for Flextronics which is subcontracted by at&t and I didn't even know that the lay-off was that big. keep your head up man.

·
MILFs dont drive minivans
07 TrailblazerSS
6,884 Posts
Mike, Sorry to hear about this... I'll be praying for you to not be included in this layoff. I've been looking for over a year now and nothing worth the travel distance or pay has come up. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
Sorry to hear.......Unions are nothing compared to what they were years ago!!!

not true it just deneds where your from. San francisco unions are very strong.

·
Willy M'Fn Wonka
07 Trailblazer SS
7,244 Posts

·
Administrator
Trailblazer SS
30,400 Posts
id rather have a gay union and a good job then a str8 union that doesnt back up its workers.

·
Registered
Black 06
271 Posts
In the spring, apply at Allied or Waste Management good pay and job security, there will always be trash!

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,352 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I remember what it was like when Verizon and our shitty IBEW did that to hundreds of NY to VA employees. I was prepared for it well in advance, but it still never hits you until you recognize that you're just no longer welcome at your place of work.

Hopefully something good or better will come along.

·
The Lurker
TrailblazerSS 06
13,844 Posts
not true it just deneds where your from. San francisco unions are very strong.
So your union guys go to the owners with Louie "No Neck" and make things right?...Lol, I'll say it again.......The Unions are nothing compared to what they were years ago.............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts