Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and drove my first TBSS today and I feel like I’m hooked. I snowboard and hike extensively and quite frankly, I’m bored driving my current LT. I come from a background of performance vehicles (Lightnings, mustangs etc) but I’m now looking for something that more aligns with my hobbies. Anyway, the truck I looked at today was an 06 AWD 3ss with 180k and negotiated a price of 6500$. Truck is fairly sold except for some rust on the inner part of the left rear passenger door and some of what you would expect underneath from a 14 year old 180000 mile truck from the Northeast. Overall it was solid, no visible leaks and ran super strong, good tires, clean interior. Everything seemed to work as it should. What else should I be looking for when I drive these trucks assuming I don’t buy this one? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I know how helpful these forums can be. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Full front end suspension rebuild... shocks, verify airbags are not leaking.

then you get into other items like transmission and rear end reliability. The trans is okay stock but can be abused and all of a sudden quit on you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
6500 bucks? That's stupid cheap. I'd be skeptical of it. More than likely salvage title, rusty, all that.

That said, it's stupid cheap, I'd jump on it before someone else steals it. It might be a terrible pos, but it's like 10k under priced from a clean title truck, so as long as you DIY work, you can fix it and still come out ahead.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6500 bucks? That's stupid cheap. I'd be skeptical of it. More than likely salvage title, rusty, all that.

That said, it's stupid cheap, I'd jump on it before someone else steals it. It might be a terrible pos, but it's like 10k under priced from a clean title truck, so as long as you DIY work, you can fix it and still come out ahead.
Clean title and other than the typical frame rust seen on anything that’s ever been driven on the roads during the winter in the northeast, it’s fairly clean for a truck with that mileage. Paint seems all original, body panel lines are all even and show 0 signs of any previous body work. Carfax is clean as well. Driving it yesterday actually surprised me with how well it handled. Sounds like some end link rattle in the rear but other than that, no strange chassis noises. Motor and trans were strong and the kickdown on the highway was impressive. But at the end of the day, it still has 180,000 miles on it and that alone scares the crap out of me even though the price is right. I guess it’s just a flip of the coin at this point

·
Premium Member
Sold
5,853 Posts
Motor and trans were strong and the kickdown on the highway was impressive.
For these trucks 4th to 2nd down shifts are a death sentence with 4L70 transmission.

As me how

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clean title and other than the typical frame rust seen on anything that’s ever been driven on the roads during the winter in the northeast, it’s fairly clean for a truck with that mileage. Paint seems all original, body panel lines are all even and show 0 signs of any previous body work. Carfax is clean as well. Driving it yesterday actually surprised me with how well it handled. Sounds like some end link rattle in the rear but other than that, no strange chassis noises. Motor and trans were strong and the kickdown on the highway was impressive. But at the end of the day, it still has 180,000 miles on it and that alone scares the crap out of me even though the price is right. I guess it’s just a flip of the coin at this point
180k miles is nothing for an LS engine, or a Chevy truck in general. A friend has a silveradonss with over 250k. There's no shortage of 300, 400, 500k mile Chevy work trucks out there.

It all comes down to budget. 6500 is actually less money than an Ls2 alone is worth. If you have 20 grand to spend on one, sure you can buy a better one. But if you have 10k, that's probably the only one you can buy. The other questions are if you need the power, the space, and the towing. If you don't need the towing, you can get an srt8 jeep, for 20 to 30 grand. If you don't need the space and towing, get a Wrx. If you don't need the performance, get any non performance SUV, you could get an Infiniti fx35 or ex35 and have fun to drive, not not really fast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Full front end suspension rebuild... shocks, verify airbags are not leaking.

then you get into other items like transmission and rear end reliability. The trans is okay stock but can be abused and all of a sudden quit on you.
the suspension seemed very tight and responsive on test drive. No crazy noises other than some end link chatter in the rear. Shocks look fairly new, ball joints all look to be in good shape. The truck hadn’t been started prior to me getting there and I didnt notice any rear end sag so I’m assuming the bags are not leaking, but if I buy it, I willbring it to my mechanic for a thorough once over. The trans/motor definitely scare me with those miles but the test drive showed no signs of either grenading on me, but that a risk with any mileage I suppose. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
180k miles is nothing for an LS engine, or a Chevy truck in general. A friend has a silveradonss with over 250k. There's no shortage of 300, 400, 500k mile Chevy work trucks out there.

It all comes down to budget. 6500 is actually less money than an Ls2 alone is worth. If you have 20 grand to spend on one, sure you can buy a better one. But if you have 10k, that's probably the only one you can buy. The other questions are if you need the power, the space, and the towing. If you don't need the towing, you can get an srt8 jeep, for 20 to 30 grand. If you don't need the space and towing, get a Wrx. If you don't need the performance, get any non performance SUV, you could get an Infiniti fx35 or ex35 and have fun to drive, not not really fast.
That is good to hear about the Ls2. Surprisingly around me, there seem to be more higher mileage trucks (those over 100k) priced between 10-15k$. My thinking is to spend the least amount on a solid truck vs more for a similar mileage truck that may experience the same problems. Meaning a 180,000 mile truck for 6500$ may be a better deal than a 140,000 mile truck for 10k$.
In terms of wants and needs, I currently drive an 03 TB LT that I’m going to give to my nephew. I don’t need the towing but I need something with more clearance than a WRX due to a lot of the trailheads that’s I access. And while I do love the SRTs I would rather not spend upwards of 30k$ at this point. I appreciate all the input!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Honestly, even if it needs 10 grand into it, it's still a great deal.

I think you'd be surprised by the ground clearance on a WRX, and you could always install springs from a forester or something aftermarket. I had an STI and never had any issues with trailheads in NC. They're rally cars after all. That said, the forester XT isn't a bad option.

At this point, I'd be sort of surprised if the Trailblazer you looked at hasn't sold by now. That's a stupidly cheap price, so I would think it would be gone by now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, even if it needs 10 grand into it, it's still a great deal.

I think you'd be surprised by the ground clearance on a WRX, and you could always install springs from a forester or something aftermarket. I had an STI and never had any issues with trailheads in NC. They're rally cars after all. That said, the forester XT isn't a bad option.

At this point, I'd be sort of surprised if the Trailblazer you looked at hasn't sold by now. That's a stupidly cheap price, so I would think it would be gone by now.
He still had it and now I own it!! 🙂🙂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts