Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a set of LED tail lights. Really want to keep something close to the factory look, but with the brightness and performance of LEDs.

Been looking really hard at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...emZ130574229053QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

Anyone on here running these or had any experience with LED tail lights?

Questions are:
I'm assuming the little red/orange box in the picture titled "Back View" is a load resistor, therefore would these tail lights be plug and play?

·
"******"
1,229 Posts
Questions are:
I'm assuming the little red/orange box in the picture titled "Back View" is a load resistor, therefore would these tail lights be plug and play?
Short answer.....YES

BTW I have them and love-em.

Only bad thing is in the winter they do not get warm enough to melt snow so after driving a while they get covered up pretty easy

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short answer.....YES

BTW I have them and love-em.

Only bad thing is in the winter they do not get warm enough to melt snow so after driving a while they get covered up pretty easy
Can you tell that they are BRIGHTER than stock tail lights with stock bulbs?

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
Same tails I've been running for over a year now. No problems and I love them!

Mine have been tinted as well but heres some pictures!

OFF:

ON with blinker and running light:

·
Registered
2006 White AWD
912 Posts
I like it, only wish was that they were flush like Bermudas, not stick out like the stockers. Tints really make it stand out nicely. How bad are the reverse with them tinted that way?

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
For stock looking LED tails, why not just pop in LED bulbs? Mine fill out the housing really nice, the bulbs for the tail/brake cost a little more than normal cause they're wired different but turn and reverse ones are dirt cheap and bright as hell.

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For stock looking LED tails, why not just pop in LED bulbs? Mine fill out the housing really nice, the bulbs for the tail/brake cost a little more than normal cause they're wired different but turn and reverse ones are dirt cheap and bright as hell.

I've been exploring this option as well. Are the LED bulbs for the tail/brake needed the "CK" type? If I run the CK type LED bulbs do I not need load resistors?

If you have just LED bulbs in your stock tail lights, what type did you get and did you have to incorporate load resistors?

·
Premium Member
06 black awd tbss
5,953 Posts
I like it, only wish was that they were flush like Bermudas, not stick out like the stockers. Tints really make it stand out nicely. How bad are the reverse with them tinted that way?

I had my tinter only do one or two coats over just the reverse light part so it wouldn't be as dark as the rest of the tail light. And I have no problems at all seeing out with the stock reverse bulbs.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts

I've been exploring this option as well. Are the LED bulbs for the tail/brake needed the "CK" type? If I run the CK type LED bulbs do I not need load resistors?

If you have just LED bulbs in your stock tail lights, what type did you get and did you have to incorporate load resistors?
For the top bulb it's the CK style, I got the ones that are about $30 a piece from superlumination.com and they rock. The resistor is only needed for the turn bulb, it'll work without but will flash fast. If you wanna do front and rear turn signals, get a 3 ohm resistor, put one on each side on the back, if you're just doing tails and leaving the front turn stock get a 6 ohm resistor. I bought some of the basic "high power" LEDs off of ebay for turn and reverse, they rock.

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the top bulb it's the CK style, I got the ones that are about $30 a piece from superlumination.com and they rock. The resistor is only needed for the turn bulb, it'll work without but will flash fast. If you wanna do front and rear turn signals, get a 3 ohm resistor, put one on each side on the back, if you're just doing tails and leaving the front turn stock get a 6 ohm resistor. I bought some of the basic "high power" LEDs off of ebay for turn and reverse, they rock.
Question:
The stock bulbs are CLEAR 3157's and they just rely on the red of the tail light to illumnate red color. Did you get RED or WHITE LED bulbs?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
379 Posts
I have these lights also. You can see the lights in the driveway and hitting the brakes they get real bright.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Question:
The stock bulbs are CLEAR 3157's and they just rely on the red of the tail light to illumnate red color. Did you get RED or WHITE LED bulbs?
Red looks much better, white LEDs would be kinda pinkish through the lens. I actually put amber in my turns just to try something different.

Here's a few pics I just pulled off my phone

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Red looks much better, white LEDs would be kinda pinkish through the lens. I actually put amber in my turns just to try something different.

Here's a few pics I just pulled off my phone
Those look GREAT 350! Those LED bulbs really fill out the stock reflectors nicely.

So let me just clarify how you ran yours.
Top Running Light/Brake Light - LED bulb is a CK style bulb WITH NO RESISTORS
Middle Turn Signal Light - LED bulb is a normal style LED bulb, with a 3ohm resistor (3ohm not worried about the front LEDs)
Bottom Reverse Bulb - LED bulb is a normal style bulb WITH NO RESISTORS

Where exactly did you have to place the load resistor? There's the tail light circuit board, and the only thing that has wires going to the circuit board is the main plug on the back side. But there are about 5 wires that go into that main plug that powers the whole rear tail-light circuit board for all 3 sockets (tail/brake, turn signal, reverse).

Did you use an in-line 3ohm load resistor? I'm very unfamiliar with load resistors. A linky to the style load resistor you used would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,655 Posts
Those look GREAT 350! Those LED bulbs really fill out the stock reflectors nicely.

So let me just clarify how you ran yours.
Top Running Light/Brake Light - LED bulb is a CK style bulb WITH NO RESISTORS
Middle Turn Signal Light - LED bulb is a normal style LED bulb, with a 3ohm resistor (3ohm not worried about the front LEDs)
Bottom Reverse Bulb - LED bulb is a normal style bulb WITH NO RESISTORS

Where exactly did you have to place the load resistor? There's the tail light circuit board, and the only thing that has wires going to the circuit board is the main plug on the back side. But there are about 5 wires that go into that main plug that powers the whole rear tail-light circuit board for all 3 sockets (tail/brake, turn signal, reverse).

Did you use an in-line 3ohm load resistor? I'm very unfamiliar with load resistors. A linky to the style load resistor you used would be very helpful.
http://www.v-leds.com/Load-Resistors/c343525-1-2/ The resistors are there, if you're not doing front turn signals get a 6 ohm resistor, 3 would be twice the resistance and work if you wanted those to be LED too. Tap it into the blue wire next to the brown wire (turn signal) and black (ground), I just ziptied mine to the back of the circuit board, they do get hot, try not to touch the resistor when testing it out, but they're not hot enough to melt the plastic and will still have a little space between the body and taillight, did it over a year ago zero issues.

when i tried getting brake led bulbs, they barely made a difference between brakes on/off? :dunno: i like the tails you mentioned in the first post
Get better bulbs, mine are significantly brighter on brake than tail.

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Exactly what I needed.

Just to be clear though: The LED bulb for the Middle Turn Signal Light - LED bulb is a NORMAL style LED bulb, with a load resistor, NOT A CK STYLE LED BULB.

·
Registered
'06 Black AWD TBSS
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Man! You've been a great help!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.