Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

Learn a factory remote ?

9K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Fltbss 
#1 ·
I was given two remotes with my new truck, but only one remote works. I put the battery in the working one in the non working one and it still does not work. Maybe it has to be learned in? What is the procedure to learn them in? I looked in the manual and it says to bring it to the dealer. I know in my durango there was a procedure that anyone can do.

#5 ·
actually try this it worked on my 03 gmc

1.Close all the vehicle doors.
2.Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
3.Press and hold the door unlock switch.
4.While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
5.Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
6.Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
7.Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
8.Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
9.Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Reactions: 99SilvCGM
#6 ·
^^^ Do that. You don't need the dealer..

#9 ·
Worked like a charm! I did learn you have to even relearn your old one during the same program mode once you've learned the first one. Either way, I saved a trip to the dealership! I owe a few beers!! :)
I'll be in NYC at the end of the month... Make it happen. lol

#22 ·
This may be a stupid question, but which key do you put in the ignition during the above relearn procedure, the know good key or the one you want to relearn. When I replaced the battery in one of mine it no longer would start the Aero (2008 9-7X Aero). The above procedure doesn't work if I try to relearn the dead fob.

Thanks

#23 ·
This may be a stupid question, but which key do you put in the ignition during the above relearn procedure, the know good key or the one you want to relearn. When I replaced the battery in one of mine it no longer would start the Aero (2008 9-7X Aero). The above procedure doesn't work if I try to relearn the dead fob.

Thanks

This is the relearn procedure for the fobs only.

The keys on our trucks don't have a chip in them and don't have to learned to the truck after getting a new one cut. Just make sure the key works before leaving the place where ever you're having the key cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
From my 9-7x manual. To program the new key:
1. Verify that the new key has PK3 stamped on it.
2. Insert the current driver’s key in the ignition and start the engine. If the engine will not start, see your dealer/retailer for service.
3. After the engine has started, turn the key to LOCK, and remove the key.

Also,

Matching Transmitter(s) to Your Vehicle
Each remote keyless entry transmitter is coded to prevent another transmitter from unlocking your vehicle. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can
be purchased through your dealer. All transmitters need to be re-coded to match the new transmitter. The lost transmitter will no longer work after the new transmitters are re-coded. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it.
Battery Replacement
Replace the battery if the KEY FOB # BATTERY LOW message displays in the DIC. See “KEY FOB # BATTERY LOW” under DIC Warnings and Messages on page 3-48.
Notice: When replacing the battery, use care not to touch any of the circuitry. Static from your body transferred to these surfaces may damage the transmitter.

#25 ·
Duh

Followup; When I took my key fob apart to replace the battery the immobilizer chip fell out, so naturally the 9-7X wouldn't start or reprogram. The chip is a pill shaped device that sits in a grove next to the battery. If you are not careful it will fall out of the case when you take the fob apart. Fortunately I was able to find the chip and place it back in the fob and now it starts.

Thanks for the help on reprogramming tips.

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.