Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called a local shop to ask about installing headers.... They quoted 6-8 hours at $140 an hour?! Ha when did everyone decide to charge dealership labor rates? If you are going to charge 140/hr you better have some damn good mechanics. Secondly if you do have the right guys, it should no way be 6-8 hrs.
Maybe it's me venting or the fact I do all the work on my family's cars and haven't needed a mechanic til my Trans went.
If anyone is in the area and wants to start charging 100/hr I'm sure we could do everything minus custom fab and tuning In my garage. So long story short I'll be putting in my own headers. *ssp*

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,002 Posts
I don't see 6-8 hours for headers on a AWD being out of line. Rate might be high, but a shop is going to charge what the market is willing to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
3,505 Posts
$140 an hour is more than what we charge for our field rate. That's call rape right there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Garage Queen
TrailblazerSS
2,055 Posts
Yea that's a tad high. I was quoted $750 to install my headers at the local performance shops.. no thx.. did it ourselves on jack stands...

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
658 Posts
I understand needing to cover insurance, rent, and salaries but yea $140 isn't going to stir up any business around here.

·
Premium Member
08 trailblazer SS
3,614 Posts
Wow, I work for a Cadillac dealership and we charge 124 a hour. That labor rate is crazy.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
297 Posts
$110 at a good shop here in Miami. $140 is a lot. Time wise, I think they're about right.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS AWD
1,795 Posts
Most shops by me charge like 100-110an hour. (Long island NY)
When I had a shop do my headers. Their rate is 105 an hour. He told me it was about a 8 hour install, but said it would be crazy to charge 850$ for header install, and said he charges a maximum of 500$ for header instal . That's exactly what I paid, until 3 bolts broke and needed to remove passenger side head to extract.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6-8 hours is totally within reason. My point was the amount per hour... This isn't diagnosis, tuning, fabrication. This is strictly wrenching, got a heads up from a member and called a different shop, way better price and guy was great to talk to.
I guess the shop I called originally has been by Naperville too long. Clowns

·
Registered
1949 TrailblazerSS
31 Posts
I'm 2 hours south of Chicago, all the dealers here are just over 100 per hour. Part of the problem I believe is Chicago shops are union.

·
Registered
TBSS
24 Posts
All shops around us suck for the most part. Over at Chicago Holden Connection we basically have no shop sponsors that are used in the area. You can reach out to Jeff Bohnman he works out of his garage.

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
71 Posts
Up here in Canadaland in Fort Mac AB the going shop rate is $225hr yes thats right! Its also a city where if you arent making $150k a year you wont survive! Rents can be 3k for the a basement suite.

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Nothing pisses me off more. Then to hear "Ohh it takes about 6-7 hours to install." Yet they stop during the job to take phone calls...eat lunch...stop and talk... When essentially the job only took 4 hours of actual wrenching.
Also those shops who go by the book... Can go FUCK THRMSELVES. I lol'd when I was quoted 16 hours for a cam install after everyone told me its a 7-8 hour job.
Happy Sunday!

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
And yes $140 is very high. Most shops should charge $95-105 a hour

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
unions :rofl: :rofl: look at what happen in Detroit lmao

But that's true Matt. I think the caddy dealer I go to is $125 a hour. But the guy there takes care of me. Since there's about 5 other CTSV's who go directly to him.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,502 Posts
unions :rofl: :rofl: look at what happen in Detroit lmao

But that's true Matt. I think the caddy dealer I go to is $125 a hour. But the guy there takes care of me. Since there's about 5 other CTSV's who go directly to him.

I dont know of any performance shop below $115 or so. A few extra $ is worth it if you dont have to do it twice.

·
Trailblazer SS
15,616 Posts
Exactly

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,157 Posts
I'm a service writer at my local Chevy dealership and we charge $85 an hour.

Reactions: dfwwiz
1 - 20 of 29 Posts