Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't normally buy the topof the line unit, but I can get a great price plus a $300 rebate before 7/31. It ends up less than a returned stock 7180. I don't need HD, but like the rest. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
2008 TrailblazerSS
1,496 Posts
I agree, I have the 9960 and have been happy now that I got all the modules squared away. Just a heads up, I would use the Axxess steering wheel controls and the PAC Bose module for on star and chimes. This is only if you are putting that stuff in. Good luck!

·
Registered
TrailBlazer SS
3 Posts
After a ton of research I just did one in my 06 like 2 weeks ago.

In 2011 there really are only 2 legit choices left for audio equipment at least source units. Alpine and Kenwood. I looked into both of the top of the line units and the Kenwood stood out by far.

The features that stood out that were included with the unit rather than addons are as follows:

Full Audio Processing (Included with Kenwood, Alpine needs an addon Processor)
F+R EQ
Time Alignment on every channel and sub

Built in Bluetooth that does
Phone as well as as A2DP which means you can wireless stream audio from your phone, from any application (Youtube, Media Player, Ect) directly to the deck and control functions like track, play, pause directly from the deck. This is a very cool feature if you do not have an Iphone but have an Android or other type of phone and you want to stream your audio directly into your system.

Alpine does not support A2DP.

5v Pre's on all channels.

Direct support for 2 Cameras, backup and front viewing
They make for $99 an ODB II dongle that wireless transmits all of the cars data directly to the deck and displays it onscreen.

The Navigation is cool as hell as well. 3d buildings in the city, traffic, its pretty fast too. I can see the score on the scoreboard at Heinz Field too :)

Your going to have to trim the back of the inside of the dash to make it fit. Its not too bad.

Also as far as steering wheel controls go. Use the Axxess ASWC. There is a small trick, I will save you some serious time. You must install a 10K ohm resistor between the module and the SWC wire on the 9980hd during programming of the module. If you do not the module will reconize the deck as a JVC and will not work. After the programming, remove said resistor(s) conntect directly and it will be smooth sailing from there. The Steering wheel controls work for track up/down, volume up/down and will cycle through sources. It will not pick up the phone from the steering wheel though.

All in all its a nice deck. A little slow to boot up, but honestly its the best out there as of today.

Mr. Base

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
1,797 Posts
My 9960 loads about the same time as my aeroforce scan gauges. I have a 1SS the 9960 worked perfect with the 5v outs. They run to a 900/5 jl hd amp for my front/rear/subs. Running with the 9960 and tuning the system took some time but is awesome in tunability. I am interested in what features are different with the 9980 besides the pandora

·
Premium Member
08 TBSS
5,858 Posts
Wow! I never thought of getting a Kenwood, but you sirs may have changed my mind. I have always been a Pioneer Headunit nut hugger, and had been checking out the AVIC-X930BT.. I'm already running Memphis 6.5's in the rear doors, Oversized 6.5's in the front doors and 3" tweets in the dash. I also have 2 Rockford Fosgate 10's powered by a 500/1 D-Class Memphis Amp.. I'm probably staying with Memphis for the inside speakers as well, but the Headunit is stumping me after reading this thread.. LOL!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
284 Posts
What are some of the best indash units available for our trucks. Really having a hard time picking one for my truck.

·
Premium Member
2008 Black TBSS
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put in the Kenwood DNX9980HD last weekend and I'm very impressed. Most people I've talked to say the current two market leaders are Kenwood and Alpine (except for Pioneer fanboys). I chose Kenwood because they use Garmin as their GPS supplier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts