Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced my battery cause it was getting hard to crank my car (slow starter noise), since it was the original battery I figured it was going bad, especially after my battery charger failed to charge it and indicated so. Charger also had a diagnostic for the alternator but only displayed a given voltage range for it so I thought it was fine, that is until after today when i noticed my voltmeter reading 14v+ at start/idle and then while driving it dipped below 14v about a 3 notche or so flux

What do you guys think? (I just read the thread that has to do with the electrical system diverting alternator power and battery power) so I'm just not sure

Pics:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,864 Posts
Normal

·
Premium Member
06 TrailblazerSS
4,726 Posts
Just replaced my battery cause it was getting hard to crank my car (slow starter noise), since it was the original battery I figured it was going bad, especially after my battery charger failed to charge it and indicated so. Charger also had a diagnostic for the alternator but only displayed a given voltage range for it so I thought it was fine, that is until after today when i noticed my voltmeter reading 14v+ at start/idle and then while driving it dipped below 14v about a 3 notche or so flux

What do you guys think? (I just read the thread that has to do with the electrical system diverting alternator power and battery power) so I'm just not sure

Pics:

the charging system is fine, but keep your eye on your starter.

·
secret squirrel
TrailblazerSS
1,280 Posts
what year truck??? on the 07-09 trucks there is that darned power control unit thingy that is a pain....it doesnt stay at 14.4v all the time...:burp:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
Mine looks the same and it's been that way since I've owned it.

·
mixmaster
TrailblazerSS
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an 08. Thanks guys, I just never paid attention to it until I started to have issues so I never noticed where it was supposed to be

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD 3SS
8,588 Posts
It's normal, the pcm determines optimal voltage for reduced load and reduced battery overcharging depending on temperatures, current measured by the sensor and load. BTW: The voltmeter in the truck is not accurate either...put a real meter on and watch what real voltage does if you just 'want' to know for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.