Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than weight is there any advantages? Sure seems like a lot of the builds with iron blocks are pretty dam fast.

·
Premium Member
Trailblazer SS
3,039 Posts
iron blocks are easier to get and cheaper

iron also have high oil temps.

·
Bunch of Slow
08' TrailblazerSS
2,432 Posts
Other than weight is there any advantages? Sure seems like a lot of the builds with iron blocks are pretty dam fast.
Yes, true... But the fastest runs an aluminum block :D

Unless you plan on running over 1200hp all the time and beating on it at the track every weekend, aluminum block is fine. 2cents

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
2,893 Posts
Yes, true... But the fastest runs an aluminum block :D

Unless you plan on running over 1200hp all the time and beating on it at the track every weekend, aluminum block is fine. 2cents
This.

I think people go iron because they're easier to find and cheaper.

You can make HUGE power a sleeved alum ls2 block if necessary.

·
Bunch of Slow
08' TrailblazerSS
2,432 Posts
You know what's funny... I'm on stock sleeves lol. I'd ask yourself what are you goals and how much power you need to get there. Although a 6 bolt setup would be nice in FI setups...

·
Premium Member
2wd Turbo
11,126 Posts
I don't think anyone here EVER will surpass what a Aluminum block can take... :2cents:
Well maybe Kurt!:rofl:

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
my buddies nova has an aluminum block in it... and it makes roughly 1200. the old kurt urban sleeper nova...

if kurt urban can keep an aluminum block together with boost.. at that power level... im pretty sure an iron block is over kill.
:iamwithstupid:Totally agree.

·
Premium Member
2006 2wd TBSS
1,538 Posts
From what I have read alot of machining has to go into making the iron LQ9 blocks right compared to the aluminum LS2. My setup is on my stock LS2 block, and is the only "stock" part left. Like everyone has said, you arent gonna reach the limit of the block unless your planning on doing something really friggin crazy (1200 plus). Even then I would say get a sleeved version of the same aluminum block. JMO

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS 3SS
1,226 Posts
From what I have read alot of machining has to go into making the iron LQ9 blocks right compared to the aluminum LS2. My setup is on my stock LS2 block, and is the only "stock" part left. Like everyone has said, you arent gonna reach the limit of the block unless your planning on doing something really friggin crazy (1200 plus). Even then I would say get a sleeved version of the same aluminum block. JMO
What about using a gen IV iron block like an ly6 block, arent the sensor locations the same. I'm considering using one because of the cost and I'm also not worried about weight. As long as everything is plug and play.

·
Premium Member
2006 2wd TBSS
1,538 Posts
What about using a gen IV iron block like an ly6 block, arent the sensor locations the same. I'm considering using one because of the cost and I'm also not worried about weight. As long as everything is plug and play.
Sorry dude, Im not familiar with the LY6 block. The iron blocks in general I have heard require more machining and that includes the LSX block. Again, just what I have heard and read about. Is your stock block hurt?

·
Premium Member
07 TrailblazerSS Imp
9,440 Posts
Hey Bubba, what is the actual weight difference between the two? 40-50lbs or more? I think its just 2 things, the cost factor of having a cheaper and more readily available iron block which "outweighs" (tongue in cheek) the aluminum block.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS AWD
31,504 Posts
Ls2= 110
lq9= 175
lsx= 245

99.9% of people on this forum would be better off with an aluminum block instead of iron unless money is the only concern. The things are pigs as they are no sense in adding more weight if you are staying under 1000 rwhp and even then there are plenty of aluminum block living above that level.

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS 3SS
1,226 Posts
Sorry dude, Im not familiar with the LY6 block. The iron blocks in general I have heard require more machining and that includes the LSX block. Again, just what I have heard and read about. Is your stock block hurt?
No it wasn't too bad but I sold it and don't know which route to take. I don't plan on being the fastest anything just as long as I can make it to nats next year and I was against an iron block but if I can save some coin and avoid a headache with sensors and wiring then I will.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts