Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
07 3SS Imperial Blue No Sunroof
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've noticed that my 07 has started to have a bit of a ticking noise that comes and goes. It started after I took it to the Chevy dealer for a servicing and they did the oil change while it was there. It is quite a light sounding tick, not a knocking sound, and it seems to be coming from the upper side.

I've clicked through a lot of videos and this is the closest I can find:

It is a bit difficult to record what I am experiencing because it is intermittent and usually starts while I am driving or cant record.

the speed of the tick is the same as in the video, and when you go to higher rpm it follows the rpm up. It usually starts out really quietly, and gets louder for about 10-15 seconds, then starts fading away maybe 30 seconds- a min later.

I drive it about 3 times a week, 5 miles to work and back, and Id say it happens about every other week or so.

I have had some moments it started, which lead me to believe it has to do with oil pressure. Once when I was tuning my sound system, I had it running at idle for about 2 mins and it started ticking. Another time I was at idle letting it warm up a bit before I left work. my buddy wanted to hear it, so once it was all ready I gave a quick rev to about 5k rpm and it started ticking about 20 seconds later. I have also gotten the same sound sometimes right when I start the truck, it might have that same ticking for 1-2 seconds after it starts.

Any recommendations on things to do/check? I called a local shop that works on LS quite often, and he told me to use Valvoline VR1 20w50 High Zinc. He said if the sound goes away, it is probably bearings, but if not it is something else. I would just hate to do that, and misdiagnose it because it went away due to something else, as it is on and off.

Thanks guys,

Cody

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
1,248 Posts
What's the mileage, what oil are you using now? I have 150k on my 08 I use redline 5w30 which also has higher zinc since i bought it with 95k to help with the "old age bearings" it might be a band-aid but it's quiet and runs good. Next I would say cut your filter open and check for shiny but might scare you.. take a breath and mod on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the mileage, what oil are you using now? I have 150k on my 08 I use redline 5w30 which also has higher zinc since i bought it with 95k to help with the "old age bearings" it might be a band-aid but it's quiet and runs good. Next I would say cut your filter open and check for shiny but might scare you.. take a breath and mod on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
125k on the odo.

·
Registered
2007 RWD TVS 1900, E85, TL headers,
57 Posts
Mine was lifters. Almost exactly what you are describing. It did it for years. I put in new lifters when I had the heads off about 6 months ago and haven’t heard it since. I did try additives over the years but nothing helped.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine was lifters. Almost exactly what you are describing. It did it for years. I put in new lifters when I had the heads off about 6 months ago and haven’t heard it since. I did try additives over the years but nothing helped.
Hoping this is it, wanted to do cams anyway

·
Registered
08 TrailblazerSS AWD
366 Posts
Personally I wouldn’t run that thick of oil in these engines. The bleed hole in these lifters are pretty small which could stop up, or hinder oil return. I agree with above post and would say that it is more than likely lifters as well.

Reactions: DakotaF

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
I've noticed that my 07 has started to have a bit of a ticking noise that comes and goes. It started after I took it to the Chevy dealer for a servicing and they did the oil change while it was there. It is quite a light sounding tick, not a knocking sound, and it seems to be coming from the upper side.

I've clicked through a lot of videos and this is the closest I can find:

It is a bit difficult to record what I am experiencing because it is intermittent and usually starts while I am driving or cant record.

the speed of the tick is the same as in the video, and when you go to higher rpm it follows the rpm up. It usually starts out really quietly, and gets louder for about 10-15 seconds, then starts fading away maybe 30 seconds- a min later.

I drive it about 3 times a week, 5 miles to work and back, and Id say it happens about every other week or so.

I have had some moments it started, which lead me to believe it has to do with oil pressure. Once when I was tuning my sound system, I had it running at idle for about 2 mins and it started ticking. Another time I was at idle letting it warm up a bit before I left work. my buddy wanted to hear it, so once it was all ready I gave a quick rev to about 5k rpm and it started ticking about 20 seconds later. I have also gotten the same sound sometimes right when I start the truck, it might have that same ticking for 1-2 seconds after it starts.

Any recommendations on things to do/check? I called a local shop that works on LS quite often, and he told me to use Valvoline VR1 20w50 High Zinc. He said if the sound goes away, it is probably bearings, but if not it is something else. I would just hate to do that, and misdiagnose it because it went away due to something else, as it is on and off.

Thanks guys,

Cody
It's typical LS motor shitty lifters. Mine did the same .started about 2yrs ago. Putting her in the shop next week to have them replaced w Texas speed lifters and magiicstick cam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts