Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS AWD
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that heat is one of the main killers of automatic transmissions and a lot of threads here seem to indicate that the 4L70 in stock form may not have been the best choice to put behind the 6.0. Ever since I put an Aeroforce gauge in to monitor my temps they creep up to the 200 degree range after driving for awhile.

I talked to my dealer about it and they're like "oh, yeah, that's perfectly normal...no problem." They brush it off since the trans fluid is running through the radiator and life is good...according to them.

I asked about what would happen if I installed a PCMforless cooler with a fan to lower the temps. They started blathering about flow rates being off and that it would void my warranty. I asked them straight up whether or not heat is bad for transmissions and they said yes. I asked if lowering temps is a good idea for trans life and again they said yes. I asked if I should install a different cooler to drop the temps and they said to not worry about it unless it gets to 250 or so. They stated that the system was designed to run that way.

Anyone else run into this? Seems crappy that if YOU try to do something to prevent a failure, they'll blame it on you and void your warranty. I'm thinking about getting the cooler and if I run into trouble, pulling it back out before I go to a dealer for service.

·
Premium Member
2007 AWD - 3SS TBSS
2,617 Posts
Dealer said the same thing to me... Just get the PCMForless cooler, and save the original cooler line... If you ever have a problem put it back to stock...

My TBSS is 4 years old and it's never been back to the dealer...

I brought in my original battery, and they warrantied it...

10 days after my 3 yr / 36 K mile warranty was up, my ignition switch went ( I changed it )...

Now 4 years into it, my drivers side power window motor / regulator went... so I'm fixing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F2HZTBTmg0

Youtube is incredible (Trailblazer no less)

·
Premium Member
TrailblazerSS
4,849 Posts
I would install it a anyway can hurt the tranny! Lower temps means longer lasting tranny.

·
Premium Member
2007 TBSS
4,834 Posts
We had a customer have trouble at the dealer. Supposedly they have to flow so much per hour or something. They tested it and it passed. I think it was Bwl101 on here. could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
07 TBSS 1SS AWD
17,281 Posts
if the cooler is restricting flow... the dealer will bounce warranty claims on failed transmissions....

that being said... 210-230 is at the point where i would seriously stop beating the truck.. and drive it steady in lockup to cool it off...

you CAN get a trans too cold...

i run in the 165-180 range all day... in 80-100 degree temps...

i have one of brandons coolers.

your dealer is 100% correct in what they told you.

they only other option i could suggest... see if the export trucks had an auxilary cooler that was installed...

or modify a fullsize truck cooler to work on our trucks...

100% gm, 100% no reason it should effect warranty.

·
Premium Member
'08 Silver TBSS
4,619 Posts
if the cooler is restricting flow... the dealer will bounce warranty claims on failed transmissions....

that being said... 210-230 is at the point where i would seriously stop beating the truck.. and drive it steady in lockup to cool it off...

you CAN get a trans too cold...

i run in the 165-180 range all day... in 80-100 degree temps...

i have one of brandons coolers.

your dealer is 100% correct in what they told you.

they only other option i could suggest... see if the export trucks had an auxilary cooler that was installed...

or modify a fullsize truck cooler to work on our trucks...

100% gm, 100% no reason it should effect warranty.
How cold can the fluid get during Winter?

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
308 Posts
From my experience, when I took mine in for tranny work I pulled my cooler off just in case, but when I picked the SS up I said I was thinking of getting a cooler and they said there was nothing to void the warranty with it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS AWD
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It just bugs me that they'll agree heat is bad, but want you to keep running the higher temps...that way when the warranty expires in 5 years and way under 100,000 miles it'll fail on me and GM won't pay for it. It's okay though, I'll just get a FLT Level 6 or 7 or do a built 4L80 swap. :)

·
Hooked on speed
06 Trailblazer SS
3,099 Posts
I'd put the cooler on and drive it. It's only going to help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.