Chevy Trailblazer SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am contemplating breaking up the 4L80E conversion kits and offering the parts separately.

I am looking for some input on what would be best for the members.

The kits cost alot to put together with all the parts provided. I built the kits with the home builder in mind. The kits take care of all the guess work by having everything available in one kit.

Should I break the parts down to be purchased separately?

TCM maybe only available with full kit?

$425.00 - 4L80E Crossmember Kit (with shims)

$150.00 - 4L80E Cooler Line Drop Downs (AN transmission fitting, stainless steel lines, AN compression fittings and AN male-male union)

$165.00 - 4L80E Conversion Harness

$?????? - 4L80E Programmed TCM - (Blank TCM plus Programming and Credits)

I want to sell/support the products that the community needs. I also want to make the modifications affordable. I dont want to price a kit out of the affordability range of the members.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
For all of the R&D you invested I would stick to selling it as complete kits. But that's just me.

·
Registered
AWD 07 TrailblazerSS
954 Posts
If I were to go this route I would love to have a complete kit.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great comments.

I have been getting more and more calls on single pieces to the kits so members can save money.

·
I'm a lucky guy!
TrailblazerSS
724 Posts
Items that can be easily copied (by others) you may want to sell separately. But items that can't (ie. programming) should only be sold with a complete kit. It seems a few others/shops on this site have been able to fab some hard parts to make their own conversion pieces. But where they get stuck is with the programming. If you plan on selling the most complicated part of this kit separately, make sure you charge an arm and a leg. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
Member could always buy the complete kits from you and try to sell off the pieces they themselves don't use as single pieces so they can bring there own costs back down.

There's No Free Lunch! Someone, Somewhere had to pay for it.

If someone wants to go off and figure out a cheaper way to do something that you already figured out the proper way to do it then let them try and fail as you did to get to the point you are at now.

OR, Pay The Price for someone who has taken all of the guess work and has professional put together a top notch kit with great customer support.

There are too many thing that could go wrong. What if they built there own harness and now it blows out Joe's TCM? What if this guy claims the TCM burned up his harness? What if the tune isn't right and now the Trans itself blows. You would warranty the part you sold him, but now he claim your issue cause his issues and not only does he want a new replacement part but he also want Joe to cover the cost of his damaged trans. That's not fair, to either party. The best way to keep it simple is to just sell as a complete kit.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
And now what, you've got to start keeping tabs on inventory that doesn't always total the same number of stuff in ratio to how many kits you have available? Too confusing. Keep it simple. The Customer sources the trans themselves from whichever builder they prefer and get everything else they will need from Joe.

:2cents:

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Items that can be easily copied (by others) you may want to sell separately. But items that can't (ie. programming) should only be sold with a complete kit. It seems a few others/shops on this site have been able to fab some hard parts to make their own conversion pieces. But where they get stuck is with the programming. If you plan on selling the most complicated part of this kit separately, make sure you charge an arm and a leg. :2cents:
Thanks Brother!

There's No Free Lunch! Someone, Somewhere had to pay for it.
That is a saying I have not heard in a very long time.

Thanks, for helping to put things into perspective. I appreciate your insight and thank you for taking the time.

·
The Master Baiter
TrailblazerSS
5,414 Posts
Joe, these guys are right. If you break it down, the TCM should be the most expensive piece. If they want to cut corners and fab up stuff on their own then make them pay for the programming. Youve spent too much time on this, too many headaches, you havent had legitmate vacation other than SEMA... Complete kit. If they ONLY want the TCM, then maybe come off the complete kit price just a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
TrailBlazer SS AWD
4,063 Posts
Sell the kit as a TCM only for $1000, and when they buy your TCM Kit they get everything else free.

·
Premium Member
'07 TBSS 1SS
3,352 Posts
:iamwithstupid::clap2::clap2:

What they said. Nothing wrong with wanting to help guys get their project going and moving along. But as you know, when you had many a late night trying to make stuff work and spent a lot of your money that you'll probably never see again, you can't just give that away for the asking. Easy come easy go. You give it away cheap and then they will give it away even cheaper.

If people cannot understand and appreciate that great accomplishments like this happen as a result of hard work and sacrifice...well sucks to be them. Let them stay in the 4L70 world or go out and fab up their stuff. They will soon see the hard work that goes into making just one part fit right. :fist:

Lastly, it perceptually cheapens your product's value. The benefit to your customers that bought/installed genuine LC32 4L80 products maintains the value of your reputation and their vehicles compared to TBSS's that have backyard Bill's 4L80 junkpile and mig/JB welding conversion. There is a greater level of confidence in saying (or selling) I have a TBSS with 'brand XYZ' components rather than I just have a TBSS with these mess of parts in it.
:2cents:

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tim, Cuzn Vinny, Jesse

Thanks for the great input. I am going to keep it as a kit only. Like stated by all of you, I have a ton of time and money into every part of the kit. I know I will probably never see all my R&D money back, that just comes with the territory. Thanks again!

·
Registered
TrailblazerSS
843 Posts
Tim, Cuzn Vinny, Jesse

Thanks for the great input. I am going to keep it as a kit only. Like stated by all of you, I have a ton of time and money into every part of the kit. I know I will probably never see all my R&D money back, that just comes with the territory. Thanks again!
Glad to hear it Joe, there is a lot of work in that kit keep it a kit,and I am proud to have played a small part in it's completion. :coolthumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts